Author Topic: Small Polytunnel  (Read 3336 times)

Stedic

• Quarter Acre
Small Polytunnel
« on: April 06, 2011, 13:30:46 »
Hello all,

I've got a little spare cash and am wondering about investing in a modest polytunnel.

I'm wondering about the positioning though.  I have an almost perfect bed, 9ft by 19ft running East/West.  It'd make a great spot in terms of layout, but would the constant sun make the tunnel too hot?

Alternatively I could put a small (8x8) tunnel north-south....but its almost too small to bother.

Thanks for any advice,

Steve

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Small Polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 14:13:57 »
You can always shade it using fine netting (tied on over the outside so the heat doesn't get in)  in high summer....
chrisc

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 14:27:37 »
They do need to have plenty of ventilation. - some have doors at both ends and some have an open area at the side. They heat up very quickly when sun come out.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 22:23:55 »
Go for the big one. Mines east / west because its the only space. It has a netting side wall with a plastic sheet to raise and lower plus a door each end. One door is only ever netting and the other at the west end is half netting and half plastic. In the winter I staple plastic or bubble wrap over the west door. It does get hot and its a drag throwing netting over in the summer but it can be done with a bit of effort and warm language. you'll soon wish you had a bigger one. Mine came from First Tunnels I think. Get better than you can afford. rubbish is expensive I find.It'll soon earn its keep, best of luck :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 22:26:01 by green lily »

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 07:35:11 »
Whatever you do. Dont get one of those cheap green ones. I have lost count of how many we have seen go to ruin after the first year. Apart from those that have blown away.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 15:08:01 »
I totally agree with Shirlton. We've got one of the cheap green ones. 4m x 2m roughly £50 ish from fleabay.

They don't get totally tight, flap about in the wind and eventually the seams fall apart. If you can afford it, get the best you can. I'm now saving pennies to get one of the decent polythene ones !!!
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 15:17:03 »
Apart from those that have blown away.

Agree - make sure you bed it down properly!

Two of our guys were digging the other day when they saw the new polytunnel on the next plot take flight and sail over the fence into the paddock next door! Being good neighbours, they shinned over and rescued it, but the poor owner thought it had been pinched and reported it to me as theft! Fortunately, it's still intact, and as he'd only just put it up he hadn't actually got round to putting any plants in it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal