Author Topic: Help needed to buy a greenhouse heater for my 6ftx8ft greenhouse  (Read 7804 times)

kippers garden

• Hectare
I bought a new greenhouse for my garden in the sales in sept that is 6ftx8ft.   I want to grow all my veg seeds for my allotment in there (my window sill are not big enough anymore).  I need to buy a heater for the greenhouse but i haven't a clue where to start. 

I don't mind spending if i get something that will do the job and is not too fiddly though I don't have electricty so i hope this isn't a problem.

Any help would really be appriciated
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Help needed to buy a greenhouse heater for my 6ftx8ft greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 20:20:10 »
Electric heaters are easiest unfortunately.
But I used to have gas one that was fed from gasbottle..but in long run it was too expensive way for me to keep GH going on over winter. But just for month or so it will do the job well. I used to have shelf above the heater with large cover and it was really good propagator as well. The pilot light kept the shelf warm enough for germination and the heater didn't 'kick on' for full heating mode unless the temperature dropped drasticly..for saving the gas I used to keep the thermostat on minimum only.
The model I used is still sold..I just cannot think was it was called at the moment... ::)..green something..I'll get back with the name..

hartshay

• Not So New ...
  • Growing slowly
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 20:32:59 »
I have had a few heaters over the years and you generally get what you pay for.   

I currently have a Parwin http://www.parwinheatersukltd.co.uk/ with a thermostat that seems bombproof.  I especially like the fact that if a heating element goes you can replace it easily. 

I had a previous (not inexpensive) heater where the element went and I could not replace it - or even get a replacement. >:(

PS if you are heating make sure the greenhouse is well insulated.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 20:42:40 »
Here we go...http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/category/HEATING_PROPGHE.htm
I used to have Bio Green..but the others on the website are almost identical..and cheaper..
Those veg seed that need only little heat for germination I do with paraffing heater that is place on the bottom shelf on staging..the heat will rise and go through the slats on top shelf and on there I have bottomless coldframe to trap the heat in...works wonders and it is reasonably cheap to run. Just one wick heater will run couple of weeks with one fill though if warm enough day I do blow it off.
Otherwise I use electric heaters in home and transfer the seedlings later on in to the 'heated' coldframe if needed ;) It is the toms and peppers that really do need the heat..generally most do not neat additional heat after they have germinated.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 21:19:39 »
I have had a few heaters over the years and you generally get what you pay for.   

I currently have a Parwin http://www.parwinheatersukltd.co.uk/ with a thermostat that seems bombproof.  I especially like the fact that if a heating element goes you can replace it easily. 

I had a previous (not inexpensive) heater where the element went and I could not replace it - or even get a replacement. >:(

PS if you are heating make sure the greenhouse is well insulated.

I bought my Parwin in November !979 and it is still going, mind you it only cost £27.30 then. It is about the only one that has the fan independant to the heater element so you can control so much better.

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 08:26:30 »
Ok, I think i'm going to buy this:

http://www.greenhousewarehouse.com/products/heat-par-warmax5-warmax-5-paraffin-greenhouse-heater.html?source=googleps#ItemDescription

I only need it for my seeds, so i'm thinking i will be using it in april/may when needed.

Can anyone give me any advice when using it?...do i need to keep my window open slightly due to vapours?

Also what temperature minimum temperature should i be aiming for to keep my veg seedlings happy?  I have read that celeriac needs a minimum temp of 10c -should i leave these on my window sill in the home and put other seeds in the greenhouse at a lower temperature?

I haven't a clue what to do with my greenhouse heating so any advice will be really welcome.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 16:19:02 »
Keep your windows and door closed or you will loose all the heat your heater create.
Make sure the wicks are keps low when they are burning...if they start smoking you have left them too high and your GH will be soon covered with soot.
For start with I would use the heater only during night as often the daytime temperature is warm enough anyway...But you will need to get thermometer so you have more idea  ;)
Your celeriac should be fine in GH.
I used to have same heater that you have been looking..it is good..but..if you need to keep it going non-stop during cold spell it is not cheap to run. Paraffin prices have shot up and double burner with full tank last about week.
If you can start your seedlings indoors and move them in GH to grow on then you would not need to heat the GH that much.

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 18:36:08 »
Thank you for your advice it is a very sensible option.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 18:43:58 »
I've just followed the link to two wests & elliot & they have a product called heat sheets. To insulate an 8x6 greenhouse would be approx £25. Has anyone any experience of this product please?

birdsrfun

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 12:51:25 »
You don't have to heat whole of greenhouse - just curtain off one end with bubble wrap. Although I have a two wick paraffin heater I only burn one wick and this seems to provide enough for my use so fuel lasts longer. I also line the gh walls and ceiling with bubble wrap ( probably teaching granny to suck eggs here!)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 12:56:42 »
I think someone said there is a paraffin heater in Quality save if you have one near you.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 13:30:35 »
Hello, if you haven't bought a heater yet and have a Home Bargains nearby, they have a paraffin heater for 16.99 .... it is this one on ebay for quite a bit more (maybe even bought from HB to resell).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220726132243&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 23:34:15 »
A single chimney twin-wick paraffin will keep the frost off if looked after, if frost not forecast then only use a single wick. Insulate the GH or use a high staging above the heater for tende veg, and dont start putting them in the GH till March. Not a bad idea to maximise passive solar heating if you can.... black water tanks are supposed to work well,

chrisc

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 00:06:40 »
just put a mini greenhouse thing in the main greenhouse, a decent electric propagator inside this will provide frost protection for a small area!
You couldn't make it up!

Two Choices

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 17:23:51 »
Like tonybloke, I also use a cheap mini-greenhouse inside my main one. Before I had electricity in there I used one of those little spaceship type heaters and this kept the frosts away. Another alternative if you have staging is to make a mini greenhouses using bubblewrap sides and top, then put the heater in there. I currently do this around by heated bed so I end up with 4ft x 2.5 ft x 2,5 ft mini heated greenhouse inside the main one. Hope this helps. TC

JudithM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 10:02:49 »
Morning Two Choices. Very interested in the "spaceship" type heater. I've just been given a greenhouse and have moved my mini greenhouse inside as you suggested. There's no electricity in. Could you please give me more details about the spaceship as it sounds ideal - I have no idea about where to buy from or cost.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal