Author Topic: Rhubarb from seed  (Read 3370 times)

botanicman

• Not So New ...
Rhubarb from seed
« on: February 02, 2011, 18:00:27 »
How easy it to grow rhubarb from seed? And how long before I can eat the stuff from seed or if I buy crowns?

Thanks,
Rod

rugbypost

• Hectare
Re: Rhubarb from seed
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 18:29:01 »
Not so much hard but it will take up to three years  before your first tart thats with custard,(HA) This time of year  if you are on a allotment some one will give you a couple of growns. This is tge sure best way to grow it
m j gravell

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 18:32:24 »
I agree, go with crowns, you may get a small picking this year.
DaiT

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 20:31:48 »
I have sown Victoria rhubarb and now after 4 years I still have`nt had a crop big enough for a tart. I would go for crowns if I was yuou

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 20:38:18 »
It takes quite a long time to get a result from seed and the results can be very variable.  Having said that I have some I grew from seeds many many years ago and though the rhubarb is rather green the flavour is out of this world.    It is still going strong.

But I also recommend crowns and I think you should not don't go for cheapo ones  Various people bought them and they are still miniscule.  I am very pleased with the Unwins ones I bought from garden centre last year.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 21:11:09 »
I agree go for crowns. I sowed seeds last year, simply because I brought the seeds from my olf UK lottie, they are growing well but I know it will take ages.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 06:52:15 »
If you know someone with a rhubarb plant ask if you can have a root, about now would be OK to take a piece, it’s nearly impossible to kill.

botanicman

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 18:25:36 »
Thanks all. Looks like crowns are the way to go.
Cheers.
Rod. :)

Macy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 10:22:33 »
It is easy to grow rhubarb from seed - I think I had 100% success with both Victoria and Glaskins Perpetual that I tried. I'd bow to others experience as to whether crowns are better, but if you wanted to try it is easy.

I'm also hoping to get hold of a couple of crowns of different varieties too, but I like growing from seed where possible - Asparagus from seed is this years attempt.

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 11:22:24 »
Thanks for pointing out seed takes years, sister in law in Thailand wanted seed, guess I will have to take some crown, woodlice and all in a box well taped up when we go next year  ;D.
Nicked a couple of chilli's from her garden, wife ate one much too hot for her, have saved seed of the other, a few seed in propagator now, if they germinate will offer the others on Swaps.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 13:33:50 »
I don't think you will have any problem getting them to germinate.  I sowed some last year  They are not particularly fast growing during the first year.  They have survived their first winter of -13 very well indeed but they are still very small.  The current yield from about 10 plants would be about one spoon full. 

cjb02

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 21:37:29 »
I grew Glaskins perpetual last year from seed and it went great guns. It is advertised as being able to pull it in the first year and I would agree with that (one of the few that is I believe). I planted 8 seeds and got 8 plants. This is my wiki entry on it below. I am annoyed as I never took a piccy of the plant when it was at a size to pick. the last image is on the 6th June at about 2 months old. I sold some plants and gave some away but every one who got one was very happy with them. When the plants went, the stalks were about 10inch long and around not quite 1/2inch thick.

http://plantsalive.webs.com/apps/wiki/rhubarb
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 21:41:09 by cjb02 »

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 07:45:09 »
I grew variety Victoria 3 years ago from seed and they are doing very well.  Pulled a few stalks of them last year and may pull enough this morning to make a crumble. The stalks are only about 12 inches at the moment but I cannot wait any lower to get them in the pie. From seed you do not pull for 2 years
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 17:19:21 »
I have bad a much better look at mine and it is doing much better than I thought.  I sowed them direct in the ground and kept will watererd.  Seems I have 17 little plants, so decided it was time to move some.  The roots are already huge.  Dandelions eat your hearts out.  The roots of the biggest are more than 18 inches long with several forks.  Seems surprising that there is so little above ground and so much below.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal