Author Topic: Public Liability Insurance  (Read 11009 times)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Public Liability Insurance
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 22:56:13 »
A copy of the employers liability insurance must be displayed at the premises insured - nothing to do whether you're a business or not.
Yes, I agree. The requirement to display the employer's liability insurance comes from the Employers’ Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969 so it's not a question of whether you're a business but whether you're an employer.  However, allotment societies will often have employer's liability insurance for their volunteers, and volunteers aren't employees so there'll be no requirement as such to display the certificate.

And if you take part in any activity off the premises - plant sales at school fetes, for example - a copy of the public liability insurance must be displayed (and given to the organiser).
I'm not familiar with this.  Where does the requirement come from?  Is there an actual requirement to insure these kinds of events?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 23:05:47 »
Senex has had a heads up about Dan's policy.
Thank you Ceres.  My appologies for any offence Senex. :)
Haven't a clue what your or Ceres' posts mean?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 23:10:12 »
I'm no longer on the committee so not responsible for this, also Scottish law could foreseeably be totally different, however I am pretty sure my site has no public liability insurance. Any thoughts?

pumkinlover

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 07:02:59 »
Most sites now do get public liability insurance.
Its a safe guard for everyone particularly the committee and trustees.
Of course Scottish law may differ :-\
I've heard that Council managed sites sometimes have insurance provided by the council, but if you are self managed it's much better to have the insurance.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 09:42:05 »
for insurance purposes, volunteers are classed as workers, btw
You couldn't make it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal