Author Topic: If I do it today!!!  (Read 2372 times)

admjh1

• Half Acre
If I do it today!!!
« on: February 20, 2011, 07:23:48 »
 ;D can I plant out my onion sets today ? And is it to early to plant out my spuds? I am strapped for time at weekends next couple of weeks but I don't want to bugger them up because if haste. Thanks in advance ;D

pumkinlover

Re: If I do it today!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 07:50:37 »
I'd say yes to onions, but spuds wait-unless put in a few for cornykev's challenge!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 08:35:30 »
We have our maincrop onions sets and chitting potatoes but they are not going in yet.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 08:43:34 »
 :-*Thanks very much will just get ground ready for onions today I think, last years went as good as previous year I think I was to eager as usual. Would it also be too early for grass seed? I have a strip at the side of plot that doesn't get a lot of sun so am thinking a bit of grass and a border of flowers!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 10:34:30 »
Uhh...I would say it is tad too early for onions yet..I would wait untill mid-to end of March..particularly as you are quite up north.
And as for potatoes...well they are not in hurry neither..
If you feel really impatient and have place to keep the onions growing..you could put your onions in modules, let them grow a bit and then plant out..

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 19:31:22 »
You can put onion sets out, and they'll start to grow when they're ready. Garlic roots are growing, and the odd onion I left from last year is sprouting merrily, so I assume that's likely to be straight off.

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 21:34:20 »
Well I didn't do it today spent around 5 hours cleaning up and raking bark paths, oh and giving the neglected shed a bit of a spring clean. Like you have said to early yet, does anyone else get itchy feet at this time of the year? Come may June I would be glad of time to tidy ext, still can't have it all. Going to stop reading the allotment books for next couple of weeks, they are a bit like cookery books one good read and your ready to have a go!!! ::)

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 22:04:59 »
;D can I plant out my onion sets today ? And is it to early to plant out my spuds? I am strapped for time at weekends next couple of weeks but I don't want to bugger them up because if haste. Thanks in advance ;D

you can only eat em once, dont be in a rush, and throw the allotment books away. wait till late march

jim..

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 22:34:03 »
Wait till mid-march for both.  Be patient.  The next month or so will still be cold so you could end up with nothing to harvest later on.  With cold temperatures they will probably sit dormant anyway;  but they will sharp make up time come warmer weather.   Waiting four- five weeks to get them in will be better than planting early to run the gauntlet with the risk of ending up with no harvest at all.....

As a compromise, maybe consider these options- my neighbour puts his onion sets in trays of compost to give them a little head start then transplants later.  Another neighbour puts a few early spuds in a compost bag in his greenhouse to get an extra early few spuds whilst waiting for the first earlies to come into their natural harvest period outside.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 23:01:11 »
Well I didn't do it today spent around 5 hours cleaning up and raking bark paths, oh and giving the neglected shed a bit of a spring clean. Like you have said to early yet, does anyone else get itchy feet at this time of the year? Come may June I would be glad of time to tidy ext, still can't have it all. Going to stop reading the allotment books for next couple of weeks, they are a bit like cookery books one good read and your ready to have a go!!! ::)

You've summed it up nicely there! I've been having a bit of a tidy up on the plot and as you say in June there's never enough time! I'm holding back as much as poss but it's tricky!!

1066  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal