Author Topic: Not happy with T&M and their fruit trees..  (Read 10342 times)

marcitos

• Quarter Acre
Re: Not happy with T&M and their fruit trees..
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 14:02:11 »
Goodlife

I shall be complaining. Similar to yourself, I have other plums from other suppliers & they arrived in good states & are doing fine.

I've bought a number of things from Agroforestry over the last 4 to 5 years & have found them to be very good. Korewild also.

Marcitos

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 23:12:23 »
I have had a look at Agroforestry.  They have  good selection of Mirabelles, unforutnately out of stock so will have to try and remember for next year.  Have wanted one for sometime and an interesting selection of apples.  I really need a good storer.

mickstani

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 01:16:56 »
Had very good quality fruit trees with fast delivery service from these last November, and they have a good offer on at mo - http://www.mailordertrees.co.uk/Fruit_Trees-_Buy_One_Get_One_Free.htm

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 11:43:10 »
I ordered an orchid from T & M at my mother-in-law's request for her Christmas present.  It arrived with a broken flower spike and generally unhealthy looking (of course, the delays due to snow etc didn't help). I complained, and T & M sent a replacement with absolutely no quibble, and didn't ask for the old one to be sent back. So I would encourage anyone (not Goodlife who did phone) who hasn't to make sure you do complain if unsatisfied.

Thanks mickstani for recommendation for mail order trees - I was considering ordering a standard cotoneaster from them and probably will now!

marcitos

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 14:48:33 »
Digeroo

Agrororestry have sold out early for the last couple of years. I'd suggest ordering now if you're interested in their stuff. Usually delivered December/January.

I've recently had a Mirabelle from them.

Marcitos

Russell

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 23:41:27 »
I'd like to support goodlife's comment about contractors. I have always tried to deal with nurseries that raise their own stock (usually Roger's) and been happy with my purchases. However a year ago I had to replace a greengage destroyed by wood pigeons at the very end of the planting season when Roger's had sold out but Dobies could supply. Their contractor had quite butchered the roots, they looked awful but I said nowt, stuck the tree in the ground and shovelled on the wood chip mulch. One year later it is doing fine, now to see about the wood pigeons.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2011, 17:03:14 »
T & M are 'offering' 5 potato tubers for 'only' 9.99 in this month's grow your own magazine, can't stand them, their customer service hasn't worked for us

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2011, 17:22:17 »
5 for only £9.99 :o...what a 'bargain' ::)

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011, 17:47:28 »
^^ now, now, are you sure it's not "5 tubers of each Gourmet variety recommended by the RHS"? or something similar?

They have a similar thing for sale on going on their website.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2011, 17:53:22 »
"popular potato varieties-Buy any pack of 5 tubers for only 9.99
charlotte, vales emerald, nicola " ???

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2011, 18:01:21 »
Even if it would be all of those varieties..five of each..still it would be lot.
Wilko sell their populars £1.00 per 5 tubers..and they have at least Nicola and Charlotte that I remember..and many others too. ::)

Petera

• Not So New ...
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2011, 18:12:04 »
I bought mine; Rocket and Pentland Javalin. 8 per pack in the Poundshop. £1 a pack. They will do me.

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2011, 18:42:37 »
Not the cheapest of firms, but have had a lot of flowers from them. Got to speack up for them phone customer services they are very good they send out  a replacement, and dont ask you no dull or stupid questions
m j gravell

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2011, 12:39:02 »
T&M brochure just came through letter box..and there is 6 varieties of 'new potatoes' 5 tubers each for £9.99..so yes not the cheapest..
And Allotment favourites potatoes collection 6 varieties 10 tubers each £14.99..little bit better ::)
I've 'burned' my fingers with them now for a while...I'll stick to buying just seeds from them as I haven't had dissapointments.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 13:01:16 »
These dasy I only use them if I've got at least a 10 quid voucher to play with .... the last one that came along (online IIRC) I've used to order some  microtubers, though I wish I hadn't ordered Yetholm Gypsy cos I found them as normal seed potatoes at my local potato day...

chrisc

mealys

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2011, 20:56:46 »
Hi I bought a Paw Paw tree from this year when it arrived it was about 6 inches tall with onr green leaf i contacted then and they told ne they would replace it
Still waiting

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2011, 21:08:17 »
I have to say I'm not keen on T&M. get my good trees from Rogers near Pickering/Malton and cheapo stuff from LIDL.Both better and cheaper than T&M. Rogers know their stuff and pack properly so no probs there.Lydl a bit mixed but you can choose your own and have it in the ground or at least in a bucket of water within an hour :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2011, 21:55:26 »
I bought a pixierosso apple and it is doing very well, it was covered in flowers even though it was only recently planted. 

But I have had a problem with some raspberries and they have not even acknowledged my email.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2011, 13:58:06 »
I've always found T&M okay. I've had lots of stuff from them and always been happy.

On the whole my experience is you sort of get what you pay for - when I've bought very cheap fruit trees or bushes from supermarkets and cut-price shops, they're very small, and not always well looked-after, and are more likely to die before establishing. But maybe that's just my bad luck.

And you do get it the other way round. Ken Muir has a good reputation, and not cheap, but they got my order wrong, and sent two sticks instead of tree-shaped trees (they call them 'minarettes' but I call them sticks  ;D) and one of their cherry trees died. But I suppose that's bound to happen occasionally.

If I was in a Lidl or Aldi more often, I would no doubt be tempted by more of their cut-price trees!

PeterVV

• Half Acre
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2011, 16:41:04 »
I ordered 2 apple trees from Dobies last year, and they chose to send them out in the middle of the coldest weather we have had for years when the whole countries ground was frozen solid and we had 6 inches of snow on top of it???? wheres the sense in that?, luckily they survived as I had covered the ground with a tarpaulin and had already dug in compost, but if I hadnt then they surely wouldnt have survived....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal