Author Topic: Planting apple tree i've just grafted onto.  (Read 753 times)

Kea

• Hectare
Planting apple tree i've just grafted onto.
« on: March 17, 2011, 13:17:20 »
Well i logged on two hours ago to come on A4A and post my questions but as soon as i got here my friend and husband started IMing me and i have just noticed how much time they've taken...I was going to go to the allotment for a few hours before picking up my son, bass guitar and amp from school at 3pm.....not going to happen ::).

The question:

I've been trying to graft from my MIL's apple tree for about the last 3 years without success (the tree was severely 'pruned' by other relations just before i got to it the first time. The next year it didn't produce many new shoots surprisingly as they usually go into over production when drastically pruned. my MIL died in June so this is my last chance. I have ordered rootstocks just arrived about 30 mins ago and also bought a tree (cheap) from homebase to graft onto.

This morning I grafted a piece onto the tree because the buds are starting to burst and it seems nice and firm...and hopefully all the blood didn't contaminate too much :-[. I was going to plant it straight away...hole at the allotment dug ready and waiting. However although the tree was outside at homebase it was in a northfacing and sheltered spot and when I plant it there will be nothing protecting it and we're due some frosts in the next few days. What do you think I should do as it's also vulnerable sitting in a pot (though it's a bare root tree) it is more sheltered at home but the leaves bursting are in advance of my apple tree's at the allotment. Any advice gratefully accepted???

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Planting apple tree i've just grafted onto.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 14:05:54 »
You can plant it outside with the craft on..but it will need to be very well tied (the craft) and sheltered so the craft does't rock and become loose.
If you have large pot and room in GH, I would pot it and keep it in cold GH for few weeks atleast..and plant it out in June once you know if the craft is taken.
Just remember to keep the tree really well watered so the is no shortage when the 'sap is in flow'..opening buds is not problem..you just rub them out below the joint to keep all the energy going to the craft. ;)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 14:10:29 »
No green house. I did a saddle graft it is very firm and tightly bound. Planting in June might be a problem as the ground here is like concrete by then. I could shelter it in situ might be the best option.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 14:36:11 »
Well..just plant it then where you are going to grow it..remember to add some wax on tip of the craft to stop it drying out..and let's hope best..
And remember..when your craft does take..do not be tempted to take the tape off and have a peek...once the buds on craft start growing it has taken..give another few weeks before carefully unwrapping the tape or if it is type that perish away, just leave to be. Last year I had 100% success with my crafts and I managed to knock one of the crafts off by being inpatient..it takes quite a while before the joint is sturdy..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal