Author Topic: A worried man  (Read 3450 times)

ACE

• Hectare
A worried man
« on: February 18, 2011, 11:16:19 »
I have just watched Cameron pleading his case against AV. You can tell he would not stand a snowballs chance in hell of getting in under the new rules if it gets the go ahead.

Not a single mention of his catch phrase 'we're all in it together'. I will have to write him a letter and ask him for my share of the bankers bonus's.

Nigel B

• Hectare
Re: A worried man
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:17:35 »
I started to watch the other bloke making his case in favour....
What a whiny little twerp he turned out to be...

Wh'eer doomed I say! Doomed!
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 13:01:15 »
I must say that I share Call me Dave's worry, although perhaps for different reasons.

First, I'm not at all happy about voting systems that encourage people to fool about with their vote, especially if that involves protest votes.  I can see all sorts of local campaigns springing up, in the hope that their fringe candidate attracts a decent number of first preference votes and gains some publicity, whilst the voters are secure in the knowledge that their first preference will be knocked out early on and their "real" vote will be their second preference.

Second, AV clearly encourages people to vote against candidates as well as for them.  I know this can also be the case in first past the post, but AV gives far more opportunity.  I understand why Lib Dems like it, since they perceive that Labour voters will choose them second rather than the unpalatable Conservatives, and similarly for Conservative voters.

Third, and it's not clear whether this would come about in England if we did vote for AV, the Australian AV system demands that you list ALL candidates in order of preference.  In English terms, that would mean that you HAVE to vote for the BNP, if they're standing in your constituency.  Now you may say, that's OK, I'll put them last.  But you're still giving them a vote, albeit a weak one.  I'd prefer not to vote for them at all.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 13:03:24 by Melbourne12 »

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 09:07:10 »
Guy Fawkes gets my vote anyday ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 17:34:26 »
As far as I can see, our current system is broke. Anything which stands a chance of getting people interested in politics again - and hopefully gives smaller parties a chance - is welcome as far as I'm concerned.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 15:16:07 »
It would be better if we had AV across the whole country for a lower house then an upper house using AV on a district by district basis..... we'd have a representative government at national level(wierdly this one is one of the first in ages to have a technical majority of the popular vote) and we could have a local-interest representative too...

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 15:28:15 »

You want more acts of religious terrorism? Nice! I'd prefer a decent democracy though.

People currently (with our elective dictatorship system) vote for who they dislike the least, not for who they like the most. AV is a small step towards a fairer system. When we get PR it will be even better but this will be a great stepping stone. The Tories don't want it because they were sent by god to rule over us all & we're too stupid to be trusted with a democracy that works. The system now is 2 wolves & a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Under PR they would have to find a compromise - maybe order a take-away.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 15:59:39 »
The Tories ruled for most of last century because of first past the post. Change the system, and they should be less dominant.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 16:52:02 »
But it may means we always have a hung parliament.  I used to think a consensus was a good thing but I am not convinced about the current lib con.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 17:07:24 »
But it may means we always have a hung parliament.  I used to think a consensus was a good thing but I am not convinced about the current lib con.

It would be a wider consensus similar to the German system rather than one big party making most of the policy and handing out a few bits they don't care about much to a junior partner.... anyone remember what the Tories were like when the only way they could cling on was with the help of the Ulster Unionists?....

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 17:23:08 »
Im voting for av, make those childish morons work together for a change for the good of the people not just thier parliamentary parties.
Im so tired of the recent outbreak of childishness on news programmes
when answering questions about thier policies the tories spend three minutes bitching about labour rather than explaining thier own policys this is then followed by the lab person have a retaliatory bitching session.
Seems only to occur when the tories are in government . Grow up you overpaid millionaires and start actualy representing us in a mature manner thats about policy not point scoring.

dont feel like voting for anyone who behaves in such a childish way .
x sunloving

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 07:50:09 »

You want more acts of religious terrorism? Nice! I'd prefer a decent democracy though.

No way am I in favour of religious terrorism, my remark was not ment to be taken that way.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 10:52:13 »
There's one good thing about coalitions. It makes it possible for a government to break down, so they may not be able to weather the nuts from some of the stuff previous governments have got away with. I don't think it's any coincidence that this lot are the most rebellious for generations.

I don't like the Libcons either, but then I'll never like anything with con in it. It's got more chance of collapsing than a pure con regime!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:53:51 by Robert_Brenchley »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal