Author Topic: Thai Basil  (Read 1684 times)

Hilary

• Not So New ...
Thai Basil
« on: February 19, 2011, 13:56:39 »

Hi, can anyone tell me the best thai basil seed to grow for maximum flavour in thai/asian cooking.  I have bought a packet of Suttons Basil Siam Queen but on reading info on back it says fragrant aroma, doesnt mention strength of flavour. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hilary
Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: Thai Basil
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 15:20:38 »
hard to imagine any basil not having a powerful flavour as well as scent - you might want to check out http://www.plantsofdistinction.co.uk for their varieties and even better would be Franchi seeds http://www.seedsofitaly.com as they also have a good range and I love their produce  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 17:07:34 »
I think the strenght of the flavour depends much of the growing conditions too...it is not just about the variety. Availability of the water for plants, soil, temperature, amount of sun light all these have effect to the flavour..now try to imitate growing conditions in Thailand.. :-X :-\ ::) ??? ;)

Hilary

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 11:36:22 »
Thanks for the advice Calendula and Goodlife  ;D
Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 17:55:35 »
Hi, I've grown Thai Basil Siam Queen (not a Sutttons one) and was pleased with the flavour and yes aromatic, slightly aniseedy, and definitely the thai basil flavour you want, but as to strength of flavour I'd say it was fairly mild.
From what I know (not a lot!!) there are a number of different types of Thai or Holy basil, the leaves can be different shapes, bigger /smaller, darker /paler, and yes the flavour will differ. And as goodlife says, growing condictions will affect the flavour. I guess it's a matter of trial and error! And whether we have a good hot summer.
let us know how you get on, and if you find any particularly good varieties or sources I'd love to know :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal