Author Topic: Scrap metal thieving  (Read 3948 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
Scrap metal thieving
« on: February 12, 2011, 17:02:54 »
I thought I would put this in a seperate bit (from the pavilion breakin thread).

Apparently thieves have been in and taken loads of scrap metal on our lotties in Watford - radiators being used as fencing, scaffold pipes etc. I think the price of scrap metal is high at the moment so watch out if you have any....!

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: Scrap metal thieving
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 19:35:43 »
earlier this week i had a load of metal and aluminium stolen from my garden including a lot of spare bits for my land rover >:(, the price the moment is very hight my stepson weighted some old car batteries in this week and got £20 each for them.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 22:41:13 »
£160 a ton for scrap @ the moment
You couldn't make it up!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 22:42:41 »
I want some scrap metal............... :'(

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 02:45:44 »
Wonder if it's the same b*****s that have been stealing all the drain covers from the roads round here. Makes it really dangerous for folk, and those of us that pay rates will end up forking out as usual. Grrrrrr.  >:(

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 13:21:53 »
Wonder if it's the same b*****s that have been stealing all the drain covers from the roads round here. Makes it really dangerous for folk, and those of us that pay rates will end up forking out as usual. Grrrrrr.  >:(

Yes that's the same B@$^&%ds
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 13:33:16 »

yes, but which scrap yard has been taking in these drain covers?

find that out..............
oh sorry, forgot, the plod are 'effing useless unless it's a car crash, when 3 or 4 cars turn up ( with 1 plod in each) total efficiency, eh?
You couldn't make it up!

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 14:01:56 »
When we went to the scrap yard last year if you take in ferrous they just weigh you and the vehicle/ trailor on the way in and out.
Then the difference is the weight of scrap you have taken off and put on the pile.
Aluminium and lead they looked at and weighed carefully.
I guess there was some surveillance going on, but wasn't obvious- when we were there someone put a juke box machine on the ferrous pile!
I caused a bit of odd looks -I don't think they get many female variety down there.
It did seem properly run, it must get suspicious when people turn up again and again. I suppose some sites will take anything and the thieves know where to go.
We're clearing out a new allotment plot by the way. 
Now need to know where to get rid of the asbestos.  ??? ??? ???
Council recycling place only lets you put in two sheets per lifetime- maybe I could say I've been resurrected! ;D ;D ;D

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 14:22:38 »
Council recycling place only lets you put in two sheets per lifetime- maybe I could say I've been resurrected! ;D ;D ;D

Spray silver and leave it somewhere visible  ;)

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 18:14:10 »

Spray silver and leave it somewhere visible  ;)

:o :o :o :o

I was hoping to sneak it into the old football ground when they dismantle the asbestos roof- a bit more wouldn't hurt!
but your idea hmm....

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 18:26:48 »
I'll found asbestos on the allotment too just can't be bothered to drive 15 miles to the only tip that will take it. Now where's that silver paint.......

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 19:54:09 »
If these are council owned allotments, I would say it was their job to dispose of the asbestos safely. 8)
DaiT

pumkinlover

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 22:51:11 »
I have broached this subject and been pointed in the direction of commercial asbestos removal firms.
As we are self- managed and these constructions were put up by plot holders years ago I kind of feel that the plot holders were at fault not the council.
At present we intend to take a couple of sheets down to the waste disposal site every few months and hope they don't remember us!
Luckily we are not far from the site so it's not too big a deal.  We know when we took on the plot there was loads of rubbish to get rid of but it is worth it as it's a fantastic plot. 

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 22:56:56 »
stick it under your shed
You couldn't make it up!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 20:23:32 »
There's loads on my site. We got the council to remove a load last year; they'll take it once we've wrapped it in plastic for them. More will inevitably emerge.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 21:16:53 »
we had a round up on several sites last week, contractors took 1.06 tons (seen weighbridge ticket) of asbestos away, (waiting for the bill)
You couldn't make it up!

pumkinlover

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 07:48:29 »
will be interested to see how much that costs Tony- will that get paid by the association?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal