Author Topic: Planting Spring Cabbage in February  (Read 1145 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Planting Spring Cabbage in February
« on: February 24, 2011, 21:41:52 »
Has anyone ever planted out spring cabbage in late winter and if so what happened?

I got some from the market back in early October and potted them out but thought they were a bit small so left them in the greenhouse with the intention of putting them out on the allotment in November. Well we all know what happened to the weather in November and December!! Probably the right thing to do as most of my Brassicas (apart from BrUssels Swedes & Asparagus Kale) were wiped out by minus 14C temperatures.
So today I planted them out one foot apart with fingers crossed.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 21:45:29 by George the Pigman »

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Planting Spring Cabbage in February
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 22:07:41 »
Liklihood is one of two things.... if they're a variety noted for holding long then you should get a crop albeit late, their root system will be behind and have to catch up, if they're not a long holding variety they'll probably bolt.... before they've headed up the day-length will be such that they want to flower.... useful experiment though and nextr year I might try and formalise it by growing a standard set outdoors and a back-up set in big pots in the unheated bit of the GH...

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 17:55:01 »
well.I planted mine bit too late in the year two years ago and following spring they didn't do much because of the cold spring as well..so it wasn't untill July I cropped them..they were nice and big then though.
It's always wort of trying ;)

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 19:27:06 »
I would plant them out and put a clothe or fleece over them ..I have some spring cabbage ( Advantage ) which were transplanted in October they look a bit sick now but in two or three weeks time I shall put some nitrogen around them to give them a boost.  No matter how bad they look now they will grow on to produce good cabbage .
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 20:40:29 »
Last weekend I planted out spring cabbages I've had growing in the polytunnel over winter. Really i was just thinning out the ones that were a bit too close. I put sweetie jars over some but the ones with [empty] hanging baskets over them looked better so on Wed. I took the mini cloches off. They all look fine now.We had -10 here over winter and the cabbages survived happily in the tunnel without extra fleece etc.Also ate first calabrese today from the tunnel. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal