Author Topic: Fitting another engine to rotavator  (Read 7238 times)

Whatever next?

• Not So New ...
Fitting another engine to rotavator
« on: February 13, 2011, 09:17:36 »
I am thinking of removing the engine on an old rotavator (looks a bit like a Merry Tiller but then again it doesn't) and trying to fit a Briggs and Stratton 5h.p. in it's place. The old engine seems to have had it's day, when I take the spark plug out it's black and oily. The replacement B & S is off an old mower and has always started well.

Has anyone else ever tried to change engines, how impossible is it, and will I have any fingers left to type with by the end of it?

Oh, and the other thing is I'm no mechanic!
Happiness is leaf shaped

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Fitting another engine to rotavator
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 09:30:39 »
it's not a difficult job, if you have some engineering skills. main problem can be if the new engine is too powerful for the old gearbox.

You couldn't make it up!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 09:36:46 »
Before you do anything, check that there is not too much oil in the engine already fitted. Drain the old oil and start again with the right spec oil for the job. A shot of red ex in the plug hole and left for a few days will unclog the rings which might be all the trouble there is. Changing engines should not be a problem You might have to adapt the mounting plates, the main trouble will be matching it to the transmission.

I have shoe horned various engines into motorcyle frames over the years, there is always a snag somewhere, just sleep on the problem and it would have sorted itself by the next morning. locktight on the nuts and bolts is highly recommended, as even the tightest of fixings will vibrate loose.

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 09:38:35 »
OH (My tame lawnmower mechanic) says the new engine needs to have the same size crank it should have the same mounting bolt holes. if the crank is larger you may need to get the drive pulley machined to fit but it should bolt straight on. You may need to make the throttle cable to fit but if you use the same size pulley the belt should  go straight on. I have done engine swop's before some times it take a bite of giggery pockery to get them to fit.
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

Whatever next?

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 09:52:12 »
I have no idea of the size of the old engine as everything has been repainted so yes there could be a problem there.

As I said, it loks like a Merry Tiller any idea what size the engine would be?

I have had the old engine running a couple of years ago but not actually put the rotavator to work, only tested it to see that all the correct things went round and round when they should.
Happiness is leaf shaped

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 09:58:51 »
I am thinking of removing the engine on an old rotavator (looks a bit like a Merry Tiller but then again it doesn't) and trying to fit a Briggs and Stratton 5h.p. in it's place. The old engine seems to have had it's day, when I take the spark plug out it's black and oily. The replacement B & S is off an old mower and has always started well.

Has anyone else ever tried to change engines, how impossible is it, and will I have any fingers left to type with by the end of it?

Oh, and the other thing is I'm no mechanic!

Your Merry Tiller engine on your rotovator will be a vertical drive, but if you are using a Briggs off a lawnmower it could be an horizontal drive which are two opposite drive systems also there is not a problem with a 5hp engine, :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 10:01:15 by Mr Smith »

Whatever next?

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 10:11:35 »
Thankfully both are vertical shafts.

I'll try the Red X method first, that should save my knuckles for another weekend.

I'm desparate to get this land rotavated, I've killed off all the grass and need to get on a bit with the preparation. All the hire shops are closed when I'm not working and open when I am, plus they are miles away. Even buying Red X, petrol and oil is a 16 mile round trip - living out in the sticks is wonderful but does have it's drawbacks at times.

Thanks for your time and help, whoever invented forums is a genius!
Happiness is leaf shaped

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 20:29:26 »
Wasn`t it the Romans who invented forums? Or perhaps the Ancient Greeks. ;D ;D ;D 8)
DaiT

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal