Author Topic: Leek encyclopaedia  (Read 1369 times)

zaz283

• Quarter Acre
  • Life's just too short
    • Allotment Heaven
Leek encyclopaedia
« on: February 12, 2011, 07:39:03 »
Of all my favourite vegetables, I think leeks are probably top of the pile. With a more delicate and sweeter flavour than onions, leeks add a subtle touch to recipes without overpowering other flavours present.

Having planted early, my first seedlings are just coming up. Time to check on all the facts, so here's another of my encyclopaedia entries, this time for leeks. Interested in why leeks are great to plant, the history or origins of leeks, how to plant, propagate and look after leeks? How about the health benefits, harvesting, common problems and finally some fantastic recipes?

I've just added leeks to the list of guides on my blog. Click the link below to go straight there. If you think I've missed anything out just let me know.

Thanks, John

http://allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/2011/02/leek-allium-porrum.html

We can wish & we can wish
But we can never have
What once seemed ours forever

http://allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

plainleaf

• Hectare
Re: Leek encyclopaedia
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 19:47:41 »
jonny do you intend to spam ever message board on veg growing with the pages of your encyclopedia

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 20:13:13 »
Mmm...there is quite a lot of different varieties available..not to forget good old pot leeks as well and then there is wild leeks and their subspecies... ;)
Generally good info you have..but to call it encyclopaedia it is quite narrow take of the edible leek family.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 18:07:42 »
More an A5 fact sheet than encyclopedia!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 20:57:03 »
I am trying Bandit as a new variety for me this year,  harvest supposedly Jan-April and I am considering Jolant as an early variety; harvesting Jun-Oct.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

zaz283

• Quarter Acre
  • Life's just too short
    • Allotment Heaven
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 07:23:52 »
Thanks for the feedback.

I called it an encyclopaedia since it's aimed at the 98% of readers who want a broad understanding of the leek and how to grow and enjoy it. If I included EVERYTHING about leeks there could have been triple the content and many of the 98% would have been put off reading. But I accept the criticism and will be more careful over use of words in future. Hope you nevertheless enjoyed the read.

The entry is posted on more than this forum... only trying to be helpful plainleaf!

Regards, John
We can wish & we can wish
But we can never have
What once seemed ours forever

http://allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 13:21:34 »
I don't see anything wrong with it, though you could have mentioned a wider range of varieties.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal