Author Topic: Our pavilion was broken into last night  (Read 22389 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: Our pavilion was broken into last night
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2011, 05:25:18 »
Tony, I think it's a good idea to tell the local paper so I'll do that in the morning. 

As for the police, one of our plotholders found that her shed had been broken into yesterday and phoned the police just to report it and get a log number.  They told her they wanted to come out at 8 pm that night!  She told them that it would be dark  ::) so they are coming at 10.30 this morning.  When she told them about the pavilion and that nobody had been out, they said that they were only dealing with her shed and that she mustn't tell anyone they were coming!!

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2011, 05:30:31 »
Sorry to hear about that, Betty and Shirlton.  Ooooo, those *****!!!!  It must just feel so crushing.  I'd like to send a donation to help replenish stocks if you give me some details.  Also, I work in a security company and if you need some CCTV signs and a couple of dummy cameras, let me know (you can't have one without the other) and I'll send 'em up! Onwards and upwards, Betty, Shirl and the rest of the team affected. 

Thank you so much SL, that's really kind of you.  I will pm you.

We won't let it get us down, at least they didn't hurt the cats or trash the place. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2011, 05:39:29 »
So sorry, Betty, to read all this.  Somehow, though, lots of good will come about, through so many people caring, offering help and joining together in putting things right again, and supporting each other.  I know that you will find that uplifting, and that you'll soon get back your bounce and enthusiasm.  Don't let them get you down for too long! Peanuts

You are so right - an amazing amount of goodwill has come from this, both on the allotments and here.  People really are good - well most of them are!

It's the silly little things like - is it worth leaving food and drink in the kitchen any more, in case it happens again.  But my instinct tells me that we should carry on as normal. It just wouldn't be practical to carry all the cat food and refreshment stuff around in my car with me all the time.  I'll have to see if I can find a hiding-place for them on the site.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2011, 05:40:29 »
Sorry to hear this girls and Tone, flip, blimey and what utter rotters, I could kick their bottoms.    :P :P :P :P :P

Are you alright Kev?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2011, 07:25:58 »
He's in-cognito ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2011, 09:16:24 »
Sorry to hear of your problem.  Your allotments to me are the epitomy of community spirit.  It is so sad when a few mindless individuals spoil things. 

One thing to watch out for is the 'double take'.  You carefully replace all the items and a couple of weeks later they come again for those as well. 

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2011, 10:01:47 »
hmmm..some sort of electronic cattle fencing system connected into various metal bits..like door handles start sounding very tempting ..to at least give some of their own back when/if they sould return. ::) :-X
 ;D..I would love to be 'fly on the wall' then.
Is there any chance for arranging for odd late night 'parties' to go around now and then for next few weeks..if they only see some torch lights it might discourage them trying again in a  hurry...and maybe some small  lights in timer, arraged to go on and off different times..so when there is nobody with torches they might just think odd one of you is still on guard.
One chap on our lottie did connect some christmas light on car battery and these were flickering in his shed... ;D..I'm living close to his lottie and I had to ring him late at night..alarmed that something odd is going off.. ;D He forgot to warn me.. ;D...but his shed breakings stopped and neighbours did take notice if his light wouldn't for some reason be on.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2011, 13:29:04 »
Tony, I think it's a good idea to tell the local paper so I'll do that in the morning. 

As for the police, one of our plotholders found that her shed had been broken into yesterday and phoned the police just to report it and get a log number.  They told her they wanted to come out at 8 pm that night!  She told them that it would be dark  ::) so they are coming at 10.30 this morning.  When she told them about the pavilion and that nobody had been out, they said that they were only dealing with her shed and that she mustn't tell anyone they were coming!!

well I hope you bent the ears of the plod who came today, and made a note of their numbers ( on shoulder of plod uniform)

they really don't give a stuff about burglaries, just interested in chasing cars and attending minor car crashes ( is it 'cos they can claim money from the car insurers? you bet it is!!)

You couldn't make it up!

pumkinlover

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2011, 14:04:07 »

So she told you and you put it on here Betty!!!! ;D

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2011, 14:42:51 »
I am so sorry to read about this, it leaves a horrible feeling with you.

I know when our shed was broken into on a regular basis I used to feel terrible and wondered if it was all worth it.  I used to feel just as though my home had been broken into.

It seemed every Sunday lunchtime I would get a phone call asking me to go to the site as we had been broken into again.  In the end the police suggested I contacted  the Crime Prevention team  which I duly did and when I had a meeting with them, on site, they suggested we had metal boxes put over the door lock/hasp/padlock. It wasn’t cheap to get done but we did do it. This has worked as our shed has never been broken into since.  I must admit it is not easy for our members to gain entry if they are in a hurry but there is no way anyone can force the hasp or take bolt croppers to the padlock, so well worth a thought Betty to contact Crime Prevention.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2011, 16:59:05 »
Like everyone else I am sickened to hear about this Betty. It makes you wonder how low people can get. It really knocks your confidence in human nature and I really hope who ever has done this gets their just deserts, they deserve everything that is coming to them.  >:(Think the police should have been rather more concerned than they seemed. So sorry for you all . Love and best wishes, busy_lizzie   :-* 
live your days not count your years

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2011, 05:31:29 »
Sorry to hear of your problem.  Your allotments to me are the epitomy of community spirit.  It is so sad when a few mindless individuals spoil things. 

One thing to watch out for is the 'double take'.  You carefully replace all the items and a couple of weeks later they come again for those as well. 

Yes, this has been on my mind too.  I only noticed yesterday that they stole the microwave too and it doesn't seem worth replacing it.

Our community spirit is still alive and kicking!  We had more donations of cat food yesterday, more offers of help to tidy up and some people brought tea and coffee for the kitchen.  One woman didn't have transport yesterday so she walked about two miles just to come and make sure we were alright.   
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2011, 05:35:35 »
hmmm..some sort of electronic cattle fencing system connected into various metal bits..like door handles start sounding very tempting ..to at least give some of their own back when/if they sould return. ::) :-X
 ;D..I would love to be 'fly on the wall' then.
Is there any chance for arranging for odd late night 'parties' to go around now and then for next few weeks..if they only see some torch lights it might discourage them trying again in a  hurry...and maybe some small  lights in timer, arraged to go on and off different times..so when there is nobody with torches they might just think odd one of you is still on guard.
One chap on our lottie did connect some christmas light on car battery and these were flickering in his shed... ;D..I'm living close to his lottie and I had to ring him late at night..alarmed that something odd is going off.. ;D He forgot to warn me.. ;D...but his shed breakings stopped and neighbours did take notice if his light wouldn't for some reason be on.

One of our plot holders has a large rather fierce German Shepherd, I wonder if he could be persuaded to exercise her at night on the site?  Mind you, if she bit an intruder we would be the ones in trouble I suppose.  ::)

Lights on a timer are a very good idea, I will suggest it today.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2011, 05:41:45 »

well I hope you bent the ears of the plod who came today, and made a note of their numbers ( on shoulder of plod uniform)

they really don't give a stuff about burglaries, just interested in chasing cars and attending minor car crashes ( is it 'cos they can claim money from the car insurers? you bet it is!!)

A young constable and an even younger PCSO came to inspect the damage to one shed.  I asked them why nobody had been in touch about the break in and theft from the pavilion and he gave me an explanation which didn't make any sense to me.  I think it was something to do with whoever was on duty when the call was made but I'm not sure.  He made a note of our log number and said he would follow it up and get us a crime number. 

I will phone again today and follow it up myself.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2011, 05:46:27 »

So she told you and you put it on here Betty!!!! ;D

:D  :D
When the two uniformed officers arrived yesterday morning a group of our plot holders were sitting outside the pavilion having cups of tea.  As soon as they saw them they all started clapping and cheering and making remarks like "So you managed to get here then?"
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2011, 05:48:21 »
I am so sorry to read about this, it leaves a horrible feeling with you.

I know when our shed was broken into on a regular basis I used to feel terrible and wondered if it was all worth it.  I used to feel just as though my home had been broken into.

It seemed every Sunday lunchtime I would get a phone call asking me to go to the site as we had been broken into again.  In the end the police suggested I contacted  the Crime Prevention team  which I duly did and when I had a meeting with them, on site, they suggested we had metal boxes put over the door lock/hasp/padlock. It wasn’t cheap to get done but we did do it. This has worked as our shed has never been broken into since.  I must admit it is not easy for our members to gain entry if they are in a hurry but there is no way anyone can force the hasp or take bolt croppers to the padlock, so well worth a thought Betty to contact Crime Prevention.

Good idea about the Crime Prevention, I will make enquiries.

Is there any chance you could take a photo of the metal box on your door and put it on here please?  I'd be very interested to see it.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2011, 05:53:39 »
Like everyone else I am sickened to hear about this Betty. It makes you wonder how low people can get. It really knocks your confidence in human nature and I really hope who ever has done this gets their just deserts, they deserve everything that is coming to them.  >:(Think the police should have been rather more concerned than they seemed. So sorry for you all . Love and best wishes, busy_lizzie   :-* 

Thanks Lizzie,  :)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2011, 07:45:08 »
What a horrid thing to happen! ..and what a horrid thing for someone to do. I think you should start training Psycho as a Ninja warrior allotment guard! ;)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2011, 15:59:21 »
Really, I would not let this put you off having an honesty fund for tea/coffee etc but maybe there is a better way of doing it? Obviously the thieves are wise to the fact that money is kept there, maybe the last person to go at night could take the box and hide it somewhere? I know this sounds daft but that could be in your loos (if you have one) or a disused shed, or something. Somewhere where it will not be obvious. It's a thought anyway.
Otherwise you could have a set day for putting in a few quid and that money could be kept by one of the plotholders?

You know, on our plot there are sometimes communal events like an afternoon tea etc (I personally am not too involved as the folk there are a lot older than me and I think I am a bit of a freak show to them, being a foreigner, also my hubbie does not like that sort of thing so I don't really go by myself), but there is nothing left that could be stolen, except a few old cups and glasses. People do not bring tea etc to the lots and the only people who drink are the few old boys who get stuck into the cheap red around lunchtime.  I envy the communal spirit  that you seem to have and to use an old adag, "don't let the *fatherless children* grind you down". Don't let them change your habits, but do be more careful with leaving cash about...

Good luck.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2011, 19:00:17 »
What a horrid thing to happen! ..and what a horrid thing for someone to do. I think you should start training Psycho as a Ninja warrior allotment guard! ;)

You know Anne, one of the first things I thought of when I saw the damage was that Psycho should have been on guard!
("Ninja" is a nice name for her)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal