Author Topic: Our pavilion was broken into last night  (Read 22386 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Our pavilion was broken into last night
« on: February 11, 2011, 14:46:11 »
Our pavilion was broken into last night.  When I got there to feed the cats this morning the main gates were wide open and as I drove to the pavilion I saw that the pavilion door was open too.

It's a heavy metal door, and this is what they had done to it
[attachment=1]
[attachment=2]
[attachment=3]

This was the kitchen
[attachment=4]

The trophy cabinet
[attachment=5]

They stole the trophies, which were not valuable, but looked nice because Shirl, Tone and I had polished them recently.
They stole our stereo equipment, clocks off the wall and waste bins from the room,

and from the kitchen, unbelievably -

all our milk, tea, coffee, sugar, biscuits, margarine, frozen sweetcorn and our box of cat food, much of which was donated by well-wishers.

They also stole the money from the Macmillan box and our refreshments honesty money.

One of our lovely plot holders went to the shops and bought more refreshment stuff and the most important - cat food.

Honestly, I know nobody was hurt and it's not a life and death thing but I felt really upset this morning.  Most of us look on the pavilion as our second home and it will probably take months now before the door is repaired.  

I phoned the police, received a log number, but nobody phoned back or came to see us.

I felt really sorry for the chap in the Allotment Dept at the Council.  They are already overspent and this will cost thousands to repair.

I don't see the point in us having a locked door any more, this is the second time it's happened.  :(
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: Our pavilion was broken into last night
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 15:10:04 »
My heartfelt sympathies. It's really soul destroying when something like this happens.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 15:10:53 »
So very very sorry to hear about this Betty. Makes you feel so angry, especially as you say its the second time. You all put so much in on your site. I still feel quite despondent following my shed fire which is 3 months ago now - you think "I'll just move on!" but its not always that easy.

asj

• Half Acre
  • Esher, Surrey
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 15:22:09 »
So sorry to hear about this, Betty, after all your hard work.
War on slugs and snails!!

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 15:40:14 »
Terrible news.

I don't know whether you are near any residential housing, but the police can advise on alarm systems that will possibly frighten such scum bags away providing there is someone in listening distance who would contact the police. With a substantial door like yours it is not going to be accidentally set off.

Bluecar

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 15:54:09 »
Goodness, that's awful, Betty.  What a mess!  I am sorry about the upset for you all.  Who'd do such a thing for (in absolute terms) relatively little gain but maximum upset.   Having seen the pavillion in use, it really felt like home from home for the allotment holders.

I know you will make it a special place again.  I'm just sad that you have to.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 15:58:32 »
The downright rotten Ba***.ds.I wish I could get me hands on them. It make me feel quite sick when things like this happen. I hope that they get a bloody shock when they try to sell the trophies cos they are practically worthless.I cannot understand why people have to take such things as bottles of milk and coffee and cat food. Money is different. They stole the macmillan money that really is low.The damage they have done to the door will take a lot of putting right. I am a beleiver in "what goes around comes around" so that is of some consolation.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 16:02:20 »
Well what a d**n shame. And what an awful day you must have had too.

The hardest part is understanding why people would go to all that trouble for so little of real value to themselves.

My sympathies.

p.s.: I hope you were insured.
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 17:29:49 »
I can only echo what everyone else has said. It's sick and senseless. We all suffer mindless vandalism - we had half a dozen sheds with their locks smashed the other night - but this is just awful. How would they like it if their bedroom was trashed? (But perhaps it looks like that anyway, so they wouldn't notice!)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 17:35:40 »

Total scum low life with nothing better to be, I would to catch the *fatherless children* in the act and kick the manure out of them,

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 17:51:39 »
Sorry to hear about ths, betty. was there no one around? dog walkers etc?
can't think what else to say, hope you can all sort it out, I'd like to make a donation towards your macmillan fund, let me know by p.m., I'll send a cheque x

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 17:53:39 »
So sorry to hear this. Your post made me really angry for the 2nd time today. My daughter recently started a new job at our local Scope charity shop, in her 3rd week the shop had the back door smashed and a couple of volunteer's lockers broken in to, ironically the locker with the takings/float was not broken in to. Just one hell of a mess. Now today I have just read in the local rag that the local cancer shop was broken in to on Monday and £100plus taken from the safe. The owners had gone to a lot of expense to have roller shutters fixed to the front as the windows had been smashed on several occasions. Now they have two rear doors to replace. What low life we have in our community.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 18:01:18 »
Oh I'm so sorry Betty, how miserable.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

pumkinlover

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 18:49:32 »
Oh Betty, and Shirl and Tony,
I'm so sorry and p*****d off for you, having been there last week and seen what a great set up you have there.  :( :( :( :(
Hard pressed to know what to say really as everyone's said it.
I agree with Shirl that "what goes around comes around" , I also think that people who do this sort of thing are often unhappy people leading unhappy lives. But at end of day they could take thier miserable arses and start to do something useful with their lives ??? ??? If they can't do that they don't have to spoil other peoples' efforts.
Similar thoughts to Lorna's post.
Any idea how come the main gate was open? and as for the police well I know they are stretched but surely this is important enough to come and finger print or something? ???
Please don't let the B*******ds grind you down.
Anne x
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 19:40:44 by pumpkinlover »

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 19:00:48 »
Thanks for your consolations. They do help a lot. When Betty called me the first thing I asked about was the cats. I am so glad that they didn't do them any harm. Felix would have walked right up to them cos he is really friendly and I dread to think what could have happened considering what they did to the pavilion. Poor Betty waited all day for the police but they didn't show.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 19:08:38 »
So sorry ,disgusted and angry to hear this news. >:( >:( >:(

Total scum in my book and at this level of criminal damage the police should have come...........get on the blower and tell em you will make an official complaint.....we pay these people to do a job. >:( >:( >:(

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 21:09:13 »
Thanks everyone for your replies and support, it means a lot to us.  I'm sorry to read about the problems with this sort of thing that some of you have had recently too.

We did have security lights - they smashed them.  The problem is that because we are situated inside a park, there are no houses nearby so nobody would see things happening.  Same thing if we had an alarm, nobody would hear it.  Many people have told me that they didn't know that the allotments are there because they are not visible from the road.

They cut the lock on the main gate, even though we have a protective piece of metal in front of it which is supposed to stop it being cut. 

Because we have such a lovely lot of plot holders we have been in the habit of leaving small amounts of money in the pavilion - a box for refreshment money, competition money and the Macmillan collection box.  We trust our people and we have never had money go missing. 

It means that in future this will stop.  I don't know how to get round the tea/coffee/milk etc thing though.  We have always kept the kitchen well stocked with these things so people can go and make their drinks and toast wheneve they want to.  Maybe I should count out a few tea bags and spoons of coffee each day?  And keep the cat food in my car?  It really makes me sick that thieves would take these things.  I can almost understand them taking stuff to sell, but frozen sweetcorn?  half a tub of marg?  cat food?

After I left there this afternoon the men came to repair the door.  The Chairman and I have decided not to ask for a proper repair, or to have a new door which would cost thousands of pounds which our Council Allotment Dept doesn't have.  We have just had two locks put on the outside of the door. 

I still haven't heard from the police, I won't hold my breath.

Thanks again for your support, it's appreciated.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 21:30:54 »
Forgot to say this in my previous post ...

As you may know, my hubby was born in Sicily.  His first reaction to the news of the break in today was

"Get an electrician to come and install electric current to the door so the next ones to break in will kill themselves." 

They don't mess about in Sicily.  :o
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

asj

• Half Acre
  • Esher, Surrey
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 21:41:47 »
Good thinking by your OH, Betty  ;D
War on slugs and snails!!

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 21:47:48 »
Most of the stuff taken will be chucked away.  When is your next open day and we can help replenish your Macmilan fund when we visit.  Hope there is some of that lovely cakey.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal