Poll

SHOULD WE OR SHOULDNT BE USING IT,

BAN?
10 (50%)
USE?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: February 12, 2011, 20:12:18

Author Topic: PEAT, PRO'S AND CONS  (Read 3871 times)

THE DOG

• Quarter Acre
PEAT, PRO'S AND CONS
« on: February 08, 2011, 20:12:18 »
Ok guys thought i would throw this in the air and see what your veiws are.

Votes and veiws appreciated.

Thanks

D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: PEAT, PRO'S AND CONS
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 20:17:02 »
I was told by the nursery that supplies all of wigan with their planters, etc that most peat free doesn't do the job for them  :-\
I'd like to go peat free and am trying to make as much compost as I can but it takes time  :)

THE DOG

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 20:18:53 »
Can i ask the main reasons you would like to go peat free?

thanks

D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 20:22:29 »
just what I read about peat bogs, if large nurseries are still using peat based compost, what difference would I make. I only use potting compost to start seeds off, try to use mushroom compost mixed with sand/feed for transplanting, plus our own made stuff.
I suppose it's just what I've read  :)

THE DOG

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 11:53:48 »
Ok thanks, im very nieve still with the politics but i have been advised to grow Winston spuds in peat and wondered what the fuss was.

THANKS

D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 12:07:39 »
I think many "acid-loving" plants would be difficult to grow successfully without some amount of peat in potting mixture.
I do believe reducing the use peat is good and agreeable but total ban would be bit of 'chock for the system'..propably not impossible to manage but certainly difficult

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 12:16:32 »
So what are the cons of using peat?  Is it the affect on the environment through diminishing resources?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 12:29:09 »
Yes. I think we should minimise use, but peat-free compost hasn't yet reached the same standard. Peat based is still best as a seed compost, but once plants become established, I don't see any reason to go on using it.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 23:28:30 »
I think I'm in the same boat as many others... I don't use it as a soil improver, the council stuff is so cheap and manure for me is free, but we're still sort of stuck with it for a sensibly priced seed-starting mix. I go through 240 litres a year starting seeds, but I would guess I used at least 1000 litres of council compost last year for potting on and twice that for the greenhouse tomato beds..... Last year Which magazine did a round up of colmposts and they did say that one of the peat frees (New Horizons I think, not sure) matched or even beat the peat-based for seed germination.... but it is quite expensive compared to the B+Q best buy (which I found excellent last year)

chrisc

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 14:44:09 »
I think I'm in the same boat as many others... I don't use it as a soil improver, the council stuff is so cheap and manure for me is free, but we're still sort of stuck with it for a sensibly priced seed-starting mix. I go through 240 litres a year starting seeds, but I would guess I used at least 1000 litres of council compost last year for potting on and twice that for the greenhouse tomato beds..... Last year Which magazine did a round up of colmposts and they did say that one of the peat frees (New Horizons I think, not sure) matched or even beat the peat-based for seed germination.... but it is quite expensive compared to the B+Q best buy (which I found excellent last year)

chrisc

My experience is just the same, I wanted and have used peat-free for seedlings. However, even the New Horizons can give patchy results-I have lost 100s of seedling through using it in the past. This year I am not going to risk it and will start everything off with Westlands Organic Vegetable Compost - until someone comes up with a really reliable peat free alternative.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

Tonythegardener

• Quarter Acre
  • http://tonythegardener.blogspot.com/
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 18:43:14 »
This will be my third year of using New Horizons peat free compost and I do not have any complaints.  All the seed germinates and I also use it to pot on. 

Destruction of peatland habitat and contribution of peat to climate change through decomposition may be two reasons for avoiding using peat. 

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 19:00:38 »
I completely agree, but I think we're going to be reduced to mixing our own if we want to stop using it. I used to grow cacti in a home-made variant using John Innes formulae, but substituting leafmould for peat. It might be worth trying for seeds.

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 19:15:56 »
I just don't feel morally able to use peat even though it is better for seeds than peat-free (although not much better I find).

The idea of destroying 1000 year old irreplaceable wetland habitats, (even a tiny bit of irreplaceable wetland habitat) just to grow some veg (important though that is) is something I feel really uncomfortable about. Allottmenting for me is about contributing to nature not destroying it.

Just my opinion of course :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 19:20:17 »
That's pretty much how I feel, though I'm not exactly immaculate in the implementation.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 19:30:15 »
I completely agree, but I think we're going to be reduced to mixing our own if we want to stop using it. I used to grow cacti in a home-made variant using John Innes formulae, but substituting leafmould for peat. It might be worth trying for seeds.

According to Mr Sherman, HDRA's Director of Gardens and Gardening, a good choice for seed sowing is to mix mole hill soil with leafmould, apparently a Victorian 'recipe' that's just as good today. 

I had lots of moles last year, but right now they are very quiet, else I would have tried it.  Perhaps the mole hill soil needs collecting and storing in readiness.  I went with New Horizon peatfree compost, especially as it was on special offer a few weeks ago.

I try to be peatfree with a few lapses, when I cannot get peatfree compost.  Having been on holiday on a Scottish island where all the heating and cooking is done with peat as fuel, I fear that this far outweighs what peat I could possible use  in the garden.  Even so, I try not to use it anymore.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 19:52:17 »
If you can't get mole soil -which probably is excellent as they're fussy about where they live, and it's normally on grassland - then a pile of rotted down turf should be a good alternative.

Tonythegardener

• Quarter Acre
  • http://tonythegardener.blogspot.com/
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 20:29:43 »
I haven't used this for a while but one of my favourite potting mixtures was:
Fibrous loam 4 parts
Well rotted leaf mould 2 parts
Coarse Sand 1 part
Well rotted manure or sieved compost 1 part.

THE DOG

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 21:05:20 »
As a novice gardener im trying to giove my seeds the best chance in life, but would like to become more Eco friendly in the future, so maybe a % could be peat free and we will see for sure how good the alternatives are/arnt.

Some cool ideas BTW

Thanks for posting all

D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 00:11:38 »
I haven't used this for a while but one of my favourite potting mixtures was:
Fibrous loam 4 parts
Well rotted leaf mould 2 parts
Coarse Sand 1 part
Well rotted manure or sieved compost 1 part.

I'd use more sand, but that's not far from my old cactus mixtures. Except, of course, that by the time I used the loam the fibres - usually dead grass roots - would have disappeared.

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 06:30:27 »
i am so glad there is no problems using peat in north America since the peat we use is harvested in more friendly and  responsible manner. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal