Author Topic: my computer keeps turning off?  (Read 3190 times)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
my computer keeps turning off?
« on: February 27, 2011, 12:32:23 »
My computer is about 6 years old,I wouldn't say it's overworked (please don't look at my stats on here   ;))
The last couple of days it keeps switching itself off,once when I was in the middle of something  :o
Is it time to unplug and send to the i.t. dept in the sky ?
I've checked the virus report and it says nothing found.
I recently downloaded skype 'tho I don't use it.
Any information would be gratefully recieved .
Oh and I keep getting "Windows -Virtual Memory Minimum too low" often !
Thanks
sanity is overated

picman

• Acre
Re: my computer keeps turning off?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 12:46:37 »
PC may be getting too warm,   :-[ you may need to clean out the dust inside, unplug everything from the case( noting where and how to put them back the same positions) take off the cover and carefully remove the dust from the fans and heat sinks ( little metal fins )....  :o important NOT with a vacuum , they create static and may damage stuff.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 16:12:47 »
thanks picman.the s.i.l.came round and cleaned the fan as you suggested.
He said the fan was working ok and while we had it outside the cabinet it worked ok but back in the cabinet it reboots constantly ,unless I'm working on it(apart from the occasion I previously mentioned )
I think it was a coincidence that it worked ok for a while ,it has always been housed in the same desk set up.
any other suggestions please.
sanity is overated

picman

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 16:27:56 »
Mac  I presume you have checked all the mains cables... It sounds like a power problem. suggest you swap / check mains cables /plugs  / fuses / 4 way adapters etc first. It may be a PSU in the PC ( they do have a tenancy to start shutting down before the go completely ) ,usually not a big problem to change.

Les.

picman

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 16:29:18 »
PS .....did you check to PSU fan ?

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 16:32:47 »
Install the software from this site http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ it will tell you if you the core temp, that way you can see if it is overheating.

Check the power/reset button, they sometimes stick and cause random shutdowns.

If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 16:39:47 »
oooh this is getting so complicated :o
s.i.l has gone to footie and the OH is watching rugby so I'm flying solo seriously thinking of resuming knitting as a pastime :(
Les how do I "check"the mains cables etc ?
the s.i.l opened her up and checked the fan inside is that the psu fan?what is a psu fan?
Chrispy how do I "check"the power/reset button (I'm tempted to ask where it is but I'm too scared  :-X)
thanks for helping guys and I'm sorry my knowledge is so limited virtually non existent :(
sanity is overated

picman

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 16:57:40 »
Mac ... Ok  stage 1 ...  Check if you have a loose mains wire ( L N or E ) in a plug that could do this , use a different cable / plug.
Then we try stage 2 ( how many things you got plugged in to mains ? Monitor and PC )  Pls don't electrocute yourself.... :o

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 17:03:42 »
Yes it could be 'old' cable problem...
About the power button...look at it..does it look 'normal' when switched on?..is it evenly in or deeper in one corner/side.
And your power button is the one the switches the puter on..the one you press with finger.. ;D now we are talking about computers ;) ;D
There is only one way to check cable etc. have a spare one that you know it works..take one off and put good one on..if it changes how the puter works...something is wrong with the old one..game of elimination..
Ohhh..I hate computer problems...I've got one that is acting up too >:( But untill it totally falls into pieces I'm having to live with it ::) It has its good and bad days..fustrating..

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 17:33:06 »
I'm back...
Les we (the rugby's finished there was a break before footie  ::))checked all the plugs,they seemed ok but then nothing so we changed 2 fuses and whoopee.
While i'm doing stuff it seems ok but when it's idle for a few mins it reboots.but I'm going to make tea and see if the fuse has done the trick.If it has will it be a temporary measure?and do you think I need new cables etc?
Goodlife I thought that's what it was but just had to ask ;)
my button is blue and constant but the red one above flickers.
I'm Adele by the way,I feel like I know you all so well ;D ;D ;D
sanity is overated

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 17:51:49 »
Mine is an old desktop and it was doing the same thing (shutting down then restarting).

As others have said, it was overheating somewhere.  It has at least 2 fans (one over a radiator inside and one on the wall of the outer box) plus maybe a 3rd inside the power supply box.  All fans seemed to be working so I just kept cleaning until the problem resolved.  There were various inlet holes in the box which were clogged with fluff plus the fan outlet got a good whizz with the hoover (oops!).  Eventually, it worked, if you google the problem, there is a lot written about it so it's quite common.

I think the Virtual Memory thing is down to too many cookies and spyware and stuff.  Delete cookies and temporary internet files  Tools -> Internet Options -> Browsing History takes you there.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 18:36:05 »
The virtual memory thing is an issue whereby if you dont have enough physical RAM in your PC then Windows will use a bit of the Hard Drive and swap data back and forth - it does slow the PC down.  You can add more memory, or clean out what is loaded at start up or best bet is to ignore it.
IIRC the default setting is to let Windows manage it and it should increase the size of the swap file automatically.

It is unlikely to be the fuse as they are either working or not.  As everyone else has said it does sound like a heat issue.  Download Crispys suggested file - it will telll you how hot it is in there..

So a good dust (already done??) and check all the inlets but I would get the SIL to check the heatsink on the CPU is properly stuck on. The heatsink (big thing with a fan on it) is stuck to the processor with thermal paste and this can dry out over the years - maybe a local repair shop??

Also check the memory and any other cards are all firmly in place...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 18:59:11 »
There is a useful link here http://askbobrankin.com/computer_restarts_itself.html

This guy suggests that if it is not overheating (you can often feel or smell if its getting really hot!) that it could be faulty RAM. Which might explain your virtual memory errors, if the PC is trying to use virtual memory to compensate for the fault.

Also worth checking the event log - control panel, admin tools, event viewer, in case there is anything here that indicates the cause of the crash.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 20:18:13 »
if it was me  mac mac i would be thinking of replaceing with  a new computer
its 6 years old and not worth the hassel, plus the cost of repair

picman

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 21:28:26 »
Adele . some good advice from members here , could still be heat build up , power supply unit (PSU) has a fan usually at top of a vertical case. must be working well , no obstructions at back ?
You say re-boots , not just going into standby , do you have screen-saver or hibernation set ( Power setup in control panel)
Changing the PC may be an option , but you then loose all your data, do you have it all backed up ?  ???
If PC just goes off and immediately restarts, then a power problem would seem other probable cause.
PC troubleshooting is an art based on luck.... ;)
Les

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 23:11:54 »
thankyou Les and all you lovely folk all this advice is so welcome.
I  have fresh leads to try and the beloved (he's wonderful) s.i.l. is calling tommorrow to help out.
thankyou again and computer willing I will post the progress.
How splendid are "virtual"friends  :) :-*
sanity is overated

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 20:51:44 »
Well after what seems like a lifetime I'm back.
It was a virus and boy what a virus :o
My lovely s.i.l (did I mentiom how wonderful he is ? ;))has spent hours and hours and hours......trying to get rid of the flippin' thing 'til finally we wiped the lot and reinstalled !do you like the "we" word  ;)
I have been very easy going but promise to be more careful in the future.
On a positive note I've learnt loads and spent many hours with s.i.l who have I mentioned is wonderful ;D ;D
sanity is overated

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal