Author Topic: Growing Spinach in boxes.  (Read 1746 times)

Daipie

• Not So New ...
Growing Spinach in boxes.
« on: February 14, 2011, 20:48:58 »
I am reliably informed that my new garden is a favourite hunting ground of an amazing amount of rabbits so the only option I can see, as far as growing my veg goes, is to grow them in secure boxes. I am completely new to this though so I would appreciate any advice you can give me. I am going to start with the spinach first (as we eat tonnes of the stuff) and though I am an expert eater of the plant I do not know the first thing about growing it. I have looked up sites about growing the plant but I don't see anywhere which tells me how big the plants get so I can make appropriately sized boxes.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Growing Spinach in boxes.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 20:57:47 »
I am reliably informed that my new garden is a favourite hunting ground of an amazing amount of rabbits so the only option I can see, as far as growing my veg goes, is to grow them in secure boxes. I am completely new to this though so I would appreciate any advice you can give me. I am going to start with the spinach first (as we eat tonnes of the stuff) and though I am an expert eater of the plant I do not know the first thing about growing it. I have looked up sites about growing the plant but I don't see anywhere which tells me how big the plants get so I can make appropriately sized boxes.
Welocme to A4A Dai...
True spinaches or Spinach Beet aka Perpetual spinach?

Daipie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 21:00:21 »
Welocme to A4A Dai...
True spinaches or Spinach Beet aka Perpetual spinach?

True spinach I guess though 'perpetual' sounds good.  :)

As I said I am a complete amatuer so I am sorry.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 23:03:38 »
My "perpetual spinach" has made it through the winter on an open meadow site where I have not actually seen rabbits but they are likely to be there (and for some reason my horseradish is the most nibbled by something, but the spinach looks good).

If you sow  a long enough row of almost anything you will get a crop. What is a "secure box"? Any form of protection such as netting floated over the row would protect it, but I suspect you won't need it. What you might like is "spinach beet", "bright lights", "chard", "Swiss chard" and so on. They could be about 18" tall. True spinach is almost flat on the ground.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 04:33:00 »
Try to pick a variety that will be OK in the summer, most of them bolt in the summer heat but a few will be OK. I grow Tyee year round, and if I grow in the winter under lights I grow Space in boxes.  If for salad greens the plant doesn't have to be mature, you can pick them when they are very small, just keep remembering to sow moreXX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 08:14:57 »
I'd describe ordinary spinach as sort of large lettuce size if that helps - as you're a lover of it you'll need quite a few plants. Last year I grew in 1mx2m bed (started off in modules in Feb & March) and had loads. Had intended following with perpetual spinach for the winter (strong grower, but hasn't got such scrummy succulence and is much taller) but left sowing too late  - going to try again this year.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 09:31:29 »
horseradish is the most nibbled by something
Horseradish is herbaceous... the leaves should die away completely over Winter. The veins often hang around longer giving a very lacey effect. Snails can often hide around the crowns too.  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 14:37:15 »
I grew lettuce in a big tub placed on top of a picnic table. Maybe you need a picnic table at the lottie to eat lunch? Then just move off the tub.  Worked like a charm.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal