Author Topic: Rocota peppers  (Read 3349 times)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: Rocota peppers
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 16:33:59 »
I wasn't aware that they came in colours other than red, are they the same thing I wonder..bit of googling needed here I think. Mine came from SSE in the US XX Jeannine

Had a google and there are several colours, some sites say they are related to the red one and some assume they are the same.. but anyway they are available in several colours, It will be interesting to compare after growth to see if there is a differnce.

XX Jeanniune

The Manzanos are the ones that are apple-shaped and they ripen in red and orange.

They are the same species (C.pubescens = hairy) as Rocotos and Locotos - and some of the latter are a normal conical shape.

They are all much hardier than the hardiest C.baccatum and C.chinensis (which are both very very variable - some are tough, some aren't, and even the toughest have a tendency to sulk the next season).

I kept mine in a dryish citrus environment (4C) all last two winters, and I'm certain it got very close to zero on occasion, maybe below. The only one I lost was the one that had been through both winters, and I think it got too dry (the pot was too big for a saucer).

I would put their heat about the same as Cherry Bomb - but this is (was) the first good summer I've grown them in so they may heat up a lot. I hope so only because I might get some viable seed this time...

Cheers.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 17:04:38 »
Sounds excellent....am trying to imagine such a thing  here.....thanks for describing it.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 16:14:52 »
Sounds excellent....am trying to imagine such a thing  here.....thanks for describing it.

Actually a ball-thingy doesn't work - you need to use a ball-rooster ::).

Flaming namby prissy puritan (US presumably?) censor programs - it's bad enough that they can't even spell proper English words - without creating actual errors.

There are literally hundreds of widely-understood synonyms for the (mild) expletive, but very few for the plumbing term. Ball-valve sounds like a special device rather then the domestic commonplace.

For the sake of our helpful and hard-working moderators I have manfully resisted the temptation to write a string of real expletives that the program's too dumb to spot - but what a load of shoemakers it is...

Ho hum.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 07:21:45 »
http://www.urbanfoodgarden.org/main/wicking-beds/wicking-beds.htm

am trying to get my head round this one, too....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal