Author Topic: 'Summer' Onion Sets - Best time to plant?  (Read 7197 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
'Summer' Onion Sets - Best time to plant?
« on: February 06, 2011, 16:56:24 »
I always grow the traditional spring planted, late summer harvested types of onion and shallots, from sets. While i usualy purchase the sets in late winter i dont plant until march or april when i feel it is warm enough to do so safely. Recently though i have read in a few places about planting them in late winter (around now) or even earlier in January. This has left me slightly confused as i did not think 'summer' onions and shallots were hardy enough to be planted that early. I know of and have grown overwintering onions (aka Japanese  onions) and believed these to be special bred or selected to be hardier.

Can anyone advise me here? Is it possible that given a mild climate and well drained soil (i have both) that i can plant a variety such as onion 'Centurion F1' or shallot 'Longor', in open ground with minimal protection, in late winter. Or should i wait until my normal time in march/april? Thanks

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: 'Summer' Onion Sets - Best time to plant?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 17:06:49 »
I'm the same as you I normally plant out setts  around March/April ( not that I have grown setts for a year or two).

I think the planting date is down to a few things, i.e. where you live, latest frosts, state of the ground.

Personally; I like to see a few annual weeds popping through before I plant out,  then I know the soil is warming up!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 17:34:11 »
I planted half my Sturon sets in modules yesterday and will plant the rest direct in March.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 17:41:56 »
When you plant them in modules do you just sit them on top or bury them to their tip as you would with those planted directly in the ground?

Bluecar

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 18:53:05 »
I just push them into the compost... you need some for the roots to grow in... if you bury them the cell is full!

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 19:27:36 »
Always been lucky here in Pontypridd can always plant out onion sets begining of march.   What works for me will differ in oher parts of the country try not to damage the root as you push them into the ground I use my thumb to make the hole and put the onion in  the ground but I leave the tip and the shoulder above ground, and cover with a fleece for the first month or more
m j gravell

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 19:32:01 »
I'm the same as you I normally plant out setts  around March/April ( not that I have grown setts for a year or two).

I think the planting date is down to a few things, i.e. where you live, latest frosts, state of the ground.

Personally; I like to see a few annual weeds popping through before I plant out,  then I know the soil is warming up!
I usually prepare the bed around the end of February making a raised bed with compost and leaf mould, about 2 weeks before planting I dress the bed with organic  fertiliizer. I wait until I can see the grass strting to turn more green fro ten I know that the soil is beging to warm up.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 15:37:47 »
I plant shallots end of February then brown onions then red onions, they will all be in by mid-March. And I have good onions now. Maybe it is warmer by my way.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 17:43:31 »
I don't have a set date, just when I feel the weather is warming or as TG says when thedreaded weeds start popping their heads out, I will be preparing my bed soon, just checked my diary from last year, plante onions/shallots 13th March.     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 23:12:26 »
Thanks Saddad.

For those of you who plant in modules, please could you give me some advice as when to plant out. Do you judge it by the length of the leaves, the establishment of roots, outside temperature or something else?

Bluecar

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 23:49:14 »
I always plant shallots in Feb and they're ready by June, which is good for re-using the bed for something else. I just read somewhere that was a good time, and it always worked so I kept doing it. I think they're tough things. (well they must be!)

For the same reason, I keep planting my onion sets in March... I've ever tested whether they could go in earlier (though I do overwintering ones as well and they are ready earlier than the spring planted sets)

I think it's worth experimenting - why don't you plant a small number now, as an experiment, then the rest in spring, and if the early ones do well - you know to try it next year.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal