Author Topic: Seedy Sunday  (Read 5666 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Seedy Sunday
« on: February 06, 2011, 08:36:28 »
Hi
I'm off to the seedy sunday event in Brighton today. I've never bean to one of these events before so really looking forward to it. Hoping to get some ideas for our own small seed swaps, info on seed saving, oh and maybe just a few seeds of this and that  ;) But I do wonder what kind of haul I will come back with!!  ;D

1066  :)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: Seedy Sunday
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 09:00:26 »
Please report back 1066 :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 09:09:34 »
I think that you may be going to the wrong place NOT to get seeds ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 09:17:55 »
I've heard it's very seedy, bring us back a leather cap.     ;D ;D ;D    ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 16:40:37 »
I didn't see that variety Kev  ;)  :-X

Well what a day!
The place was mobbed, and I mean mobbed - hundreds of people, goodness knows what the London swaps are like!

Loads and loads of stalls - the swapping stalls were in the centre and then round the sides were other stalls for community groups, seed merchants like Pennards and Thomas Etty, plants, HSL also had a stall, willow weaving, wild flower bombs, a potato grower, a local organic shop, you name it really. Oh and of course food stalls

I took some of my beans along and was able to do straight swaps with whatever I wanted  ;D. And I was VERY self restrained  8) (you are right Shirl, not the place to go to avoid seeds...), the packets come in every size and shape, some with details on, others only a name. When I ran out of my own swaps you made a donation - 50p a packet.
So I spent a merry hour or two browsing and reading. I didn't have time to go to any of the talks, had to dash back home  :(

well here's the list -
Brussel Sprout – Evesham – 2010 – Whitehawk Hill – were very successful
Cyprus Broad Beans  – 2010
Herb – Chevril Curled 2010
Kale – Ragged Jack 2010
Cos Lettuce – Brown Goldring (HSL) – produces crisp heads in the summer and will successfully overwinter with minimal protection
Orach Green and Gold – German Mountain Spinach
Herb – Milk Thistle – 2010
Climbing French Bean – Madiera Maroon
Land Cress

And I made a few purchases.......
Anyone grown Ice Plant? I'm now the proud owner of some seeds  ;D

Oh and I couldn't resist - Lettuce – Fat Lazy Blonde and Drunken Woman - I think those are something I could aspire to  :D  :D  :D

I also picked up some Bloody Butcher Corn and some more Black Spanish Radish and a dwarf pea - Old Homestead. The potato stalls were well stocked, but I resisted (I didn't see any I particuarly wanted), and there were lots of fruit bushes / plants for sale as well.

I'm sorry if this isn't much of a review! But there really was so much to take in. It's very impressive, and must take a huge amount of organising. And if you ever get a chance to go to one of these events they are well worth it - even just for browsing. the link to seedy sunday is here, they have a list of other events round the country

http://www.seedysunday.org/category_idtxt__events.aspx

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 16:49:33 »
Madeira Maroon are very good .... I'm glad I didn't go... I'd have needed a wheel barrow...  :)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 16:53:31 »
I've never heard of them before which is why I picked them up! Will have to go and google them all to get some extra info

I went by train, and I don't think Southern allows wheel barrows  ;)  :D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 17:59:59 »
I've got myself some bloody butcher this year, shame about the cap though.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 18:17:32 »
Aye, Madeira maroon are a fab bean; really nice colour dried and fat so great for chilis.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 09:42:56 »
 ;D sounds a cracking day out and all those lovely seeds, thanks for sharing  ;D

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 10:01:29 »
Went to Brighton ten years ago and still treasure my Brighton swapped varieties (a few growing cycles later).  Being mobbed?, good grief ;D The event must be huge now, it was impressive and big even then.

Glad you  had a wonderful time 1066 and picked up some rare nice packets, wishing you good growing.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 13:06:01 »
So you were an "early bird" then Galina  8)

I got there about 12ish, it had opened at 11, and you could see quite a few gaps in
the seed swap tables, and for the most part you had to wait to be able to get to a table  :-\ . goodness knows what was left by the end of the day.... probably a few packets of seeds and some very exhausted volunteers  :) . I did mean to ask the guys on the door how many visitors they had had, but forgot!

anyway, lots of lovelies to grow.........

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 13:44:23 »
There is one seedholic here who is chewing her knuckles and trying 'plant' a mantra deep into her brain while reading this post ::)..."I'm not going to seed swaps, I've got enough.....I'm not going to seed swaps...."
OHHH..pure torture this is.. ;D
1066..sound like you have done really well with your swaps...

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 14:39:37 »
So you were an "early bird" then Galina  8)

Sort of - like goodlife over Brighton, I was absolutely drooling reading about all the exciting Canadian Seedy Saturdays (the inspiration for UK Seedy Sunday).  And when Seedy Sunday arrived here ten years ago, there was no stopping me  ;D ;D ;D  DH and the children could be persuaded to a trip to the seaside very easily, so all was well. 

I brought all my seeds in a display box thinking that people would want to see them before swapping.  How naive was I!  Spent the first half an hour portioning, packaging and labelling seeds at a spare table at the far side of the room.  All good fun! :)

You got some interesting Nordic seeds to grow, goodlife, how exotic is that.

All great fun.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 17:07:53 »
There is one seedholic here who is chewing her knuckles and trying 'plant' a mantra deep into her brain while reading this post ::)..."I'm not going to seed swaps, I've got enough.....I'm not going to seed swaps...."
OHHH..pure torture this is.. ;D
1066..sound like you have done really well with your swaps...

Goodlife, we'll do this together, now breathe 1, 2, 3, and out 1, 2, 3, .........  ;)

It was fun tho  :-X (sorry that doesn't help does it!!)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 17:10:17 »
Ice plant's a succulent if I've got the right one; it looks like one of the Mesembryanthemum family, with coloured daisy-like flowers. Once you've got them germinated, keep them well-drained; either in a dry spot or in a pot with nice open compost.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 17:18:21 »
thanks for the extra info Robert, I've been trying to read up about it. The guy on the stall said you can grow them in hanging baskets, which sounds a bit novel, but it might look good  :-\

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 17:21:39 »
Code: [Select]
Goodlife, we'll do this together, now breathe 1, 2, 3, and out 1, 2, 3, .........
 ::)I'm panting now...100,101,102... ::) ;D
Code: [Select]
You got some interesting Nordic seeds to grow, goodlife, how exotic is that  ;D..yes, and I'm going try my luch again with seedbank later on the year..who knows if if I'm double lucky ;)
In mean while I'll try to multiply the excisting ones and share them in our circle ;)
 ;D All good fun ;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 18:10:03 »
Mesembryanthemums are great if they are the lovely sun loving flowers, catti like leaves and all different coloured daisy like flowers.  Good in a window box in a hot summer.  Wasn't quite sure what 'Seedy Sunday' was in Brighton.  Never heard of it before.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 16:53:40 »
It's a seed swap. I'd start one in Birmingham if I could find a few people interested in organising it. Definitely lots of sun for ice plant! A hanging basket sounds like a good idea, or a pot in full sun.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal