Author Topic: cutting corrguted plastic  (Read 2152 times)

superdupa

• Not So New ...
cutting corrguted plastic
« on: February 07, 2011, 18:22:19 »
Hello all,need some advice two years ago I built a greenhouse and used double glazed windows and for the roof clear plastic corrugated sheeting ,the trouble is that I left too much of a overhang on the roof and with the high winds it is moving and one piece is cracked I need to shorten the said overhang anybody had experience of cutting this plastic in situ as it will know be more brittle don't want to have to replace roof.Incidentally I am extending greenhouse as Ive getting another window and a patio door so dug the foundations last Saturday and will lay the concrete blocks next week.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: cutting corrguted plastic
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 18:33:02 »
Use a length of wood as your marker and score the plastic with a stanley knife several times in the same place.  You will get you straight edge with the wood.  It will then snap off quite easily.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

tugboat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 18:45:51 »
amother method which I use is a cheap blow torch from wickes and soften the plastic first and then use stanley knife and it cuts like butter.use a spare bit first to practice and bobs your uncle

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 18:51:54 »
USE A SMALL 4INCH DISC CUTTER BIT OF NOISE BUT SAFER
m j gravell

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 19:06:20 »
Jigsaw.   :-\      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

superdupa

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 19:18:26 »
thanks for the replies but have no power as its at the lottie

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 19:42:36 »
Firstly. mark the line of the cut, run a length of Sellotape over this line. Then, using a hacksaw, slowly cut along the line, the Sellotape stops the plastic from shattering. 8)
DaiT

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 15:41:03 »
Ryobi 18V battery sabresaw, fineish metal blade adn don't run it too fast, let the saw do the work....

chrisc

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 16:45:47 »
A small hacksaw will do it easily if you're careful. The sellotape idea sounds good.

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 17:11:16 »
If you have one, then use an electric heated wire. This will stop any shattering of the panel.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 13:11:55 »
There is an old thread on corrugated PVC where the consensus (of everyone who had tried anything else) was it's rubbish and only lasts a few years, unless you use so much support that you've spent more on wood than using twinwall polycarbonate in the first place.

A waste of money.

Cheers.

PS. Of course corrugated fibreglass is a horse of a different colour - but it only passes about 70% light.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal