Author Topic: Growing potatoes from True Potato seed.  (Read 84188 times)

oldpot

• Not So New ...
Re: Growing potatoes from True Potato seed.
« Reply #200 on: May 06, 2012, 20:07:59 »
how big was the tuber from last year experiment you planted crisscross i will be checking see how you do with them :)
and yours too Nigel with the pulled chits you did i did one chit to see what happens  yes its good experimenting with things you never know might get a good one .
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 20:10:53 by oldpot »

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #201 on: May 07, 2012, 20:53:23 »
I've weeded out 15 of my PFA TPS to grow on. There are 9 which are about 10+ inches tall and a further 6 which are smaller, say 6-8ins. at the moment they're poted up in the conservatory and waiting room in the poly.
IMO its still risky for going out because we had frost last night. There were small tubers developing on the ones I've binned for lack of room. White tubers though not pink.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #202 on: May 08, 2012, 01:55:15 »
how big was the tuber from last year experiment you planted crisscross i will be checking see how you do with them :)
and yours too Nigel with the pulled chits you did i did one chit to see what happens  yes its good experimenting with things you never know might get a good one .

THe Jayblues varied from a bit bigger than hens egg to a bit bigger than microtuber, the Russian Blush about hens egg, the Siberian Hamster a bit bigger than microtuber to a bit bigger than my middle finger... on average a bit smaller than commercial seed, but you have to remember they were lateish sowings and of the various plants I got last year these were the productive/vigourous ones... The Jayblues probably had the best/most advanced chits of any of my potatoes when I planted them.

oldpot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #203 on: May 10, 2012, 17:05:18 »
ty crisscross will be watching your progress of them
these are mine 2 lots i got growing so far

first one is brevoort river 2nd one rosalina x
the big one out is a fingerling chit i pulled to try

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #204 on: May 10, 2012, 18:47:22 »
AS I expected the jayblu's are starting to break through on the plot, there are two that are the most advanced of anything I planted.... This years true seeds have started to germinate adn looks like I will have a few SarpoxPFA's to play with :-)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #205 on: May 10, 2012, 20:29:29 »
Mine are at the same stage as Oldpot's, ready for potting up as soon as I can get it done.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #206 on: May 11, 2012, 01:11:36 »
Few more of the Sarpo x PFA's were up when I was in the GH this evening.... I'll need to get some pots ready....

oldpot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #207 on: May 11, 2012, 12:51:30 »
where are you robert and crisscross england , be nice to see different climates (i am in Michigan 40 north Detroit )normally weather we about 3 -4 weeks behind uk up to end of april( in barnsley i would put taties in midto late march, here we put them late april) but its been milder than normal winter but summer temps are higher and more sunny and normally catch up with uk plants  but again we get early frosts then uk  so be nice to compere how these tps grow .

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #208 on: May 11, 2012, 14:16:13 »
This is my first year doing this and I hae lots of seedlings on the go!  Will need to pot them on in a week or so and am going to pass some on as well as I have so many!
Grow yer bugger grow!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #209 on: May 11, 2012, 17:01:31 »
where are you robert and crisscross england , be nice to see different climates (i am in Michigan 40 north Detroit )normally weather we about 3 -4 weeks behind uk up to end of april( in barnsley i would put taties in midto late march, here we put them late april) but its been milder than normal winter but summer temps are higher and more sunny and normally catch up with uk plants  but again we get early frosts then uk  so be nice to compere how these tps grow .

Swindon for me but I was a bit late getting the spuds in and then it rained loads and I got even later...

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #210 on: May 11, 2012, 17:45:45 »

Hi Oldpot,
I have to confess, my pulled-chits took a right knock when I forgot to put their tray in the greenhouse over the last couple of frosty nights.
That said though, only one or two have actually gone to the great compost heap in the sky, and the rest are showing signs of life again so I'll persevere because I'm determined to see what happens.
So, we're back to the stage of small leaves forming, but still looking ok..

And now its back to Oldpot in his greenhouse for an update....
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

oldpot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #211 on: May 11, 2012, 18:50:28 »

.And now its back to Oldpot in his greenhouse for an update....
[/quote]

we dont use greenhouse here to get too hot in summer everything goes out side i use a clear tote for my stuff to keep the frost out if needed .hehe

sorry about the chits ones i see you getting bad weather over there last few weeks i got one to try see how that goes , hope yours recover back :).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 18:52:39 by oldpot »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #212 on: May 11, 2012, 19:05:47 »
I'm in Birmingham. I started mine ages ago on the windowsill, but should have potted them up well before now.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #213 on: May 11, 2012, 19:47:32 »
Seed survivability seems good... I've got some year old Ratte TPS showing through on a windowsill now... Looks like if they set OK then they keep for a while...

oldpot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #214 on: May 12, 2012, 17:43:31 »
I've got some year old Ratte TPS
i love to try some of them,hope they do well for you , i loved ratte taties and Charlottes and pink fur apple thats all i grew in uk .

oldpot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #215 on: May 13, 2012, 17:41:27 »
ahhhhhhhh i went out this morning and left all my plants out of the clear totes i got (as its too hot in them today) and the geese and babys that live on the lake where we are have eaten 60% of my tatties plants and other veg they normaly leave them alone and well out of 24 tatties plants i got 12 left and 3 in bad shape and hope they will survive , dam pissed me off they have those geese ,i need a gun lol .

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #216 on: May 20, 2012, 10:24:20 »
There is new book coming out of Rebsie Fairholm about TPS.. ;D I have to start putting my pocket money together..it will be interesting read.

oldpot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #217 on: May 27, 2012, 23:11:55 »
well planted 10 of the plants i had left i lost the ones the geese got :( now wait and see whats happens

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #218 on: May 28, 2012, 16:12:12 »
Got seven PFA/Sarpo's and six Ratte selfs in pots in the GH adn they have just surivied the hot weather while I was away  (which won't happen again for a while) I've got some big pots (but not enough) so the PFA/Sarpo might well end up out on a plot with plenty of seperation.... I want that undying blightproof habit from the Sarpo and the taste of the PFA, not fussed about growth habit or most of the annoying issues with PFA, a blightproof FIr Apple is all I care about... with the Ratte I'd like somethign tasty adn early.... and yes I know I could grow Anya, but I'm hoping for something earleir than that...

oldpot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #219 on: June 02, 2012, 18:19:02 »
gl with the fir apple and ratte ones i love to get some of them seeds hope they set seed for you as well,  mine 10 doing ok in the garden now i sown some more ros xx ones but might not do nothing might be late but might as well try .

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal