Author Topic: Greenhouse base advice  (Read 3091 times)

Plot22

• Half Acre
Greenhouse base advice
« on: February 03, 2011, 21:02:29 »
I am planning to buy a new 8' X 12' greenhouse and are now planning the base. I am thinking of about 2" of hardcore then a mix of sand and cement then slabs. Does this sound about right? Also thinking of putting down a weed barrier. Would this go under my hardcore and is it necessary? The plot where I am putting the greenhouse is at the bottom of my long garden which I have used as a mini allotment fot the past 5 years. However my main allotment provides all my current needs vegetable wise hence the greenhouse plan.

Thanks in advance

rugbypost

• Hectare
Re: Greenhouse base advice
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 21:16:57 »
Your green house like mine is heavy and prone to high winds so you only get one shot so dont cut cost. I marked out the area  with string 12 inch wide  by about 9inch  deep trench put concrete in the bottom and fixed it down with anchor bolts. 2 bags cement £8  5/6 bags chippings.  £10  6/7 bags sand £10 mix is 3 shovels sand  2 shovels chippings and 1 of cement add water. Anchor bolts buy on the net cheaper than b&q . If you use slabs I think they are about £2 each  what would you anchor it to. all he stuff you dig out bar the stones put into compost it only takes a while for it to break down
m j gravell

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 21:27:32 »
I put mine 8x6 on railway sleepers which gave me more head height inside less banging of head Grin It also made bolting the frame down easy.I layed two rows of 2x2 slabs inside put a bench one side and formed a bed the other side with a scaffold board. Dug out the soil seived it mixed in compost and well rotted horse manure.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 22:36:05 »
good advice, lottiman!
You couldn't make it up!

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 12:14:33 »
i would advise anyone to also look at extra cross bracing up when they put the greenouse frame up

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 17:01:02 »
I have two 8' x 6' greenhouses, concrete bases and 6"x 9" high concrete block wall to bolt the frame down on. It gives extra headroom tomatoes.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal