Author Topic: Holly  (Read 1921 times)

Nobbyman

• Half Acre
  • The Monkey's Always Right!! (Brissle Here!!)
Holly
« on: January 10, 2005, 15:52:38 »
Hello everyone!

I have been given by my next door neighbour a little bit of holly with a root!!! At present it is sat in a vase of water in my kitchen.

Does anyone know the best way to grow this little cutting i.e plant out now, in a pot or straight into the garden!!

Help any advice will be appreciated!

Nobbs  :o

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: Holly
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 15:57:44 »
As it's been indoors, it'd need hardening off before going out. I'd be inclined to pot it up and keep it in a cool greenhouse until spring. I have two small hollies in pots. My plants are about 1ft high and a couple of years old. They do grow quite slowly, it seems, but they are growing. I've only kept them in pots because the area they are to go in is still undug (yes - after two years!)
gone to pot :D

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 20:20:34 »
often get self set hollies at my parents, (they've some holly hedge) and i'm aiming for a holly hedge, so they get hoiked out!
after taking them up, (they were only couple inches high) they went into a pot and then planted them out after a few months. they were outside all the time, though. i must admit that when i took them out of my parents' garden they went into pots with just the garden soil surrounding them, so i wasn't particularly kind to them at all. they're going very well in pretty poor soil now, considering i had the impression holly was a slow grower.

so!-i would pot it up, keep in pot for a little while, harden off like aqui says, and plant out this year.
but others may do different.................................!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 21:38:16 »
It is odd, we have a few hollies of various types, blue leaved, variegated, and so on and they all produce berries now and so we get lots of seedling ones, but so far they have all been the straight forward 'English' holly.
All I do is pot 'em up in garden soil, grow them on for a season and then put them out in the hedge.
Gardening is the great leveller.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal