Author Topic: Shrubs for Wildlife  (Read 3388 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Shrubs for Wildlife
« on: February 03, 2011, 09:36:22 »
I have recently made a new border in my garden and am just about to start planting it up. It is in a slightly 'wilder' part of the garden, next to a mature hedge and beneath very tall pine trees which cast only moderate shade. The hedge is dying and will soon be replaced with a fence. The trouble is the hedge is popular with birds, particularly sparrows so i am looking to replace the habitat of the hedge with an informal screen of shrubs.

Can anyone suggest any attractive shrubs that will provide suitable habitat for birds, i.e. dense enough growth to roost or nest in, that will do well in the site (also NW facing). Could be deciduous or evergreen, good autumn colour or berries a bonus.

Thanks

birdsrfun

• Quarter Acre
Re: Shrubs for Wildlife
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 10:01:01 »
How about buddliea, elderflower, sorbus tree (small), ordinary green pittosporum (good for nesting and evergreen), amelanchier, birch, yellow privet, or spotted laurel - all quite quick growing but easy to maintain. The amelanchier colours beautifully and has spring flowers and small berries too, the birch is very twiggy if kept small but silver varieties have nice bark and the evergreens provide winter shelter. Maybe some purple fennel  planted in front for colour and autumn seeds (sparrows love them) and a small rose for scent and summer colour?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 14:30:15 »
wild roses..they will provide nectar and pollen for many insect, and rosehips for birds to feast on ;) There is many beautiful hollies as well with fancy leaves..good for birds to nest and shelter away from the worst weather and the berries will be food source too.
You could plant few climbers between too, honeysuckle would provide good nesting shelter, flowers feed many moths and berries for birds.
Crab apple...ohhh...that is sooo good ..flowers for spring colour and nectar and pollen source for insect, autumn/winter colour with leaves and fruit..you could say that crab apples would give you all year round pleasure. Fruit comes in different colours as well..and nothing is stopping you making use of the yield too ;) Win, win..

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 18:28:41 »
Native hedging plants would do well, and they'd support a lot more insects than imports.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 12:31:11 »
Thanks for replies. I have privet and elderflower (in the old hedge), also buddleia and honeysuckle nearby. Not sure about small trees although they sound nice, dont know how they would get on competing with the pine trees. Like the sound of amelanchier and pittosporum though. Been also thinking along the lines of pyracantha (got one that needs moving) and one of the big shrubby cotoneasters, primarily for the berries but not sure if they are dense enough though.

Ideal would be natives but while the site is one of the wilder parts of the garden the garden isnt that big so what i plant does need some ornamental value as well as being bird friendly.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 18:21:42 »
There are quite a few native shrubs which are quite ornamental if you look around!

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 18:59:22 »
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 19:32:44 »
My neighbour's berberis (darwinii?) hedge is filled with birds and their nests and their babies.... + flowers + berries

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 08:31:08 »
Bees love them, but I don't find much goes for the pyracantha and cotoneaster berries.  Like Robert I'm a fan of native hedging, and I have qute a few native wildflowers around the pond for the moths and things.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 18:59:07 »
Hi Unwashed,

What are the wildflowers you have planted - could do with some more planting around pond

Debs

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 09:33:23 »
Hi Unwashed,

What are the wildflowers you have planted - could do with some more planting around pond

Debs
Hm, I wondered if someone might ask - I've forgotten!  I'll see if I can't work out what they are.

One is a wild honeysuckle - I have a bit of a woven fence around the pond for safety so it grows up that.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 10:00:02 »
The birds eat our pyracantha berries when there is nothing else around, it is almost as though they save them.  There is an order in which the colours are eaten too, somnething like red orange yellow but could be a different order. :-[  Our blackbirds love the berries and also nest in it as does a robin.  We also have a rhamnus....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rhamnus_alaternus_argenteovariegata.jpg

which our birds love to sit in to check the coast is clear to hop on to the feeders, it grows quickly and can be contained to 6' or allowed to grow into a tree.  It has berries which disappear quite quickly too.  It is a silver variegated evergreen and one of my favourite shrubs to look at.  Provides good screening from the trampoline next door too. ;)  It grows well next to our hedge so should cope with your pine trees.

Growing ivy up your fence will provide a good home for insects which then provide food for birds too, as do piles of logs.

Nice to see you have been promoted again  :)

T.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 16:37:15 »
Thanks again for replies. Will have to look again at native species. If i had a bigger garden i'd love to plant a hedge of native species, i just dont know if it will suit my current garden. To be honest i dont really want a true hedge, more a shrubbery to replace one.

'My' blackbirds seem to love the orange berried pyracantha i have elsewhere in the garden. There's one in the front thea every late autumn/early winter our local pair go back to again and again until it is stripped bare. Berries rarely last until christmas in this garden, thats why i would like to plant more - to last them longer!

I see some of the viburnums are good for wildlife. I had thought of Viburnum opulus. Seems to have some/all of the attributes i am looking for. any good?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 16:41:50 by Garden Manager »

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 17:18:04 »
For 'front of border' I would recommend either dwarf Daphne retusa or cnoreum.  They are evergreen, and when in flower they have the most wonderful scent, and they bear red berries.  Blackbirds love the berries.

valmarg

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 16:42:51 »
Garden Manager,

I would go with Hazel Buckthorn, and Quickthorn. Interwoven with wild Honeysuckle and a Rosa rubrosa rambling through it. It will take hold if not managed or if you have the space then let it grow and the wildlife will take it on with gratitude.
I have a mix of native and foreign plants to compliment the area and the wildlife seem to enjoy the variety. Not much in the dwarf category yet, but Valmarg's idea of dwarf Daphne seems to be a winner with me.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal