Author Topic: looking for a name for a cucumber?  (Read 4576 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: looking for a name for a cucumber?
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 11:33:35 »
How did I miss those from seeds of Italy site ??? ::)
I never came across those although I looked...I suppose they could organize their seeds bit differently and not having same type of seeds scattered under different groups ::)
Anyway...I had very kind pm suggesting site that he found ;)..thank you...
Jayb..if you have spare.. :-* but if you are getting low with your supply..no problems..I've purchased now couple of different sorts to try and see if they are the 'real deal'...and I'll be saving some seeds....In fact once I receive them I shall offer for you some to try ;)
Now that I've been seaching and looking for different name variations of the type of cucumber..it is frightening how many sort there is about ::)
NO!..I'm not going start collecting..NO, NO :-X ::)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 11:44:26 »
Looks like I messed up earlier on ::)
http://www.gardenedibles.com/products/cucumber-half-long-from-polignano that's the one Jay'b should have..and that looks like the one I'm after..
this is one link that Galina put forward..
http://www.seedsofitaly.com/product/95
..although picture is bit different, I asume it is same cumber... ;D

marcitos

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 15:19:29 »
You could try original touch , sorry don't have the link at hand. Do you grow unusual cucumbers, or any other unusuals? I get some stuff from the States & Germany, if you're interested in the links.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 17:45:50 »
Thanks Marcitos..but I've got the link to original stuff ;D
Actually I did spent evening going through sites around the world ::)
And I find Italian Ebay site where I could have ordered some..bit closer to home.
But before comitting myself to buy I thought to check UK site...and yes...some popped up there too ::) I always have to do things long way round.. >:(
No now I've got seed coming from Original stuff, Ebay and Seeds of Italy ;D
If one does go to trouble to find something exact..one as might go all the way and get together good selection to choose from ;D :-X
..no it's not called "starting collecting."..it is e"nsuring the right option" (being greedy)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 23:51:16 »
I grew a 'carosello' cucumber a few years back and found it tasted the same as a cucumber when unripe (but needed peeling) and when ripe didn't taste a whole lot better than a 'ripe' (ie. nearly inedible) cucumber...

Pretty much a washout as far as I can tell (washout is almost a synonym for 'novelty' these days).

Are they a whole lot better in Italy? or do you really need to grow up with them to enjoy them??

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 02:45:54 »
The one I think of is the Armenian Cucumber, which is actually a melon, much lighter in colour than usual ones. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 09:38:00 »
Just got my original touch catalouge through today and thought I had solved the name but it appears that I am quite late!  ;D

I noticed on the next page (p.25) that Betty has a picture in of some squash.  They do not look like tromba di albenga to me!  Look more like very large  Lunga Piena di Napoli??

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 13:44:15 »
Code: [Select]
I grew a 'carosello' cucumber a few years back and found it tasted the same as a cucumber when unripe   ;D
MMM.. ;D I like my cumbers still undersize and crunchy ;D..I suppose that's why the ones I grew did appeal so much to me.
Code: [Select]
The one I think of is the Armenian Cucumber...bought some ! ;D Never grown them before but while I was searching the other sort those court my eye ;D
Where in earth I'm going to put all to grow is a another mystery to follow :-X
But as always things sort them self out..eventually..my 'to grow' list is only under construction and it will chance 'million' time by summer ;D

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2011, 13:10:45 »
I am fairly sure that RealSeeds sold a 'carosello' cucumber a few years ago too.

found it:

it was   CAROSELLO ~'Di Polignano' Cucumber Type

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal