Author Topic: Boring and Dull....  (Read 2158 times)

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
Boring and Dull....
« on: February 03, 2005, 13:21:10 »
My view was boring and dull during the last few months, but this week the farmers started to take away the dark-brown wintercover off the bulbs.

A little bit more patience and then i will once again be surrounded by these beautiful colours.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re: Boring and Dull....
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 14:46:39 »
Amazing colours :o 8) :o   What do they do with them... Cut the flowers and sell them or cultivate the bulbs to sell???
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 15:17:05 »
What's the brown covering?

Do you ever find the colours a bit dazzling? We find that Rape fields are quite tiring if you live close by. = Tim

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 17:56:36 »
Hi Mimi, these bulbs only get used for bulb-resale, not for the flowers.

And Tim, the brown stuff is straw.

On this picture I took this morning you see the first very early bulbs, growing in trays.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 18:41:56 »
So - you put them out in trays - cover them with straw - then take the straw off & they end up as flowers which will be hacked off - like the Battle of th Flowers in Jersey? - & bulbs for sale? = Tim

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 20:04:30 »
Are the bulbs forced? They certainly look like it, very pale.

This interests me I must admit.

In the second set of pictures the bulbs appear to be in trays. So why did they cover the beds in straw back in the autumn just to remove it now?

What ever that tractor is picking up it must be very light, the hopper on top of the cab cannot carry a huge weight. I must admit I have never seen anything like that in British agriculture, or African or American for that matter, (where i have worked in the past, but then again never been involved in bulb production!!)

Very very interesting pictures, keep them coming!

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 23:07:49 »
These bulbs in trays are forced, they are special ones.
From the big fields they take the cover off this week starting, straw nowadays, in earlier days reed was used. But at this moment there is hardly a green leaf to see.
After they have ploughed the earth in autumn and fertilized, the sandy soil is not so fertile, little bulbs are planted and covered with straw for protected the bulbs and against blowing away of the sandy soil. In the winter, january and february taken off the straw and add thin cow manure again to stop the earth blowing away from the always blowing westenwind. Than in spring it will be getting warmer and more light so bulbs are growing fast, than flowering and than 'koppen' take the flowers off, because all the energy has to stay in the bulb, making little ones. the leaves and stems stay in the soil: they give the food. In summer lifting the bulbes out of the soil 15 june-15 aug, drying, take rest of roots of, pellen with tulips  or holding with hyacinths. Grades for the sizes, count them, look for diseases and sell. the little ones keep for next year.
That is in short the whole process. Did not border to mention all the fertilise  stuff. 

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 13:43:01 »
Sandersj89 :)

Lady Cosmos is Absolutely Right.

Here also In North Brabant and I think over all in the Netherlands.  They adopt the same system over all .

The smaller commericial Growers do it the same here. A mass of Wonderful Colours.

Its really something worth seeing for yourself. Believe me.
If you get the chance the Flower Market in Amsterdam held Daily. Were the Growers Auction the Flowers
Greetings    Take care  Tulip-23 ??? ??? Now you know WHY!!
                                     Mike
« Last Edit: February 13, 2005, 13:46:11 by TULIP-23 »
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal