Author Topic: roasted elephant garlic - now what?  (Read 2382 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
roasted elephant garlic - now what?
« on: April 20, 2011, 17:10:35 »
Hi all

last night I roasted a bulb of elephant garlic, sweet peppers and shallots and made a big bowl of pasta and some garlic bread but still 3 bulbs left so was contemplating making up some garlic butter for freezer to use on steaks and more garlic bread.

but any other ideas?

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
Re: roasted elephant garlic - now what?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 13:00:20 »
you could just freeze the individual cloves for future use - I've got a bag of them

in the freezer & they are really useful to dip into when required

Debs ;)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 23:07:57 »
thanks Debs i ended up taking 1/2 a stick of butter mushing what was left together and making some garlic butter for the freezer :) yum

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 20:42:10 »
They are pretty easy to regrow, just take a clove and plant it in a pot of compost for a bulb for next year. Plant on the shortest day harvest on the longest day is the rule, same as for shallots. I take it you know that garlic sprouts when cold so never leave it in the fridge unless you want it to sprout so that you can get it to regrow. (simulating the shortest day).

Garlic butter is simple enough to make

crush one clove of garlic beat into 100 grams (4oz) butter with a tablespoon of fresh parsley (two teaspoons of dried) a shake of black pepper and a bit of salt (to taste)

Oh and you could add some to a little oil. It is great for cooking but beware that it must be used quite quickly. Although I have not suffered from poisoning from doing it . People tell me there is a risk. Be warned. The Spanish  Offer it mixed with virgin olive oil to put on to freshly baked bread. It beats baked garlic bread (with a sprinkle of fresh black pepper and a midgin of salt) to my mind.

Yes garlic does freeze well. but you need to use tiny containers like ice cube trays. Only thing is. If you then want to use that container for ice. It may not be great for the Gin and Tonic later on.

I have an Ice  cube tray I keep for garlic...chilli......ginger.... As soon as my batch is frozen I put the ice cubes in a named and dated plastic bag. Then I can take them out and add them to my recipe as I want. I dont have a problem with flavour mixes doing that.

Fresh herbs can be chopped and kept the same way.

Yes you can freeze garlic butter, garlic oil etc. Fine to add to a recipe later.

Garlic mayonaise?

Garlic Mushrooms even

How about

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/cream-of-garlic-soup/Detail.aspx

garlic can also be gently roasted in the oven and then the paste which is very mild tasting, once cooked, can be spread on to absolutely anything.

Warning the above may limit your snogability.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 21:24:13 »
thanks you a star i have some in grow bags from last year so fingers crossed i will be able to try some more of your recipes hehe

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 22:10:57 »
I freeeze my garlics two ways.

If in a hurry and lost to get done I seperate into cloves then freeze in it's skin,, it pops out when squeezed once half thawed.

My favourite way is to peel all the cloves(great job for on a tray while watching TV),then freeze them in a zippie bag.

They go through the garlic press frozen and slice paper thin when  frozen too I use them for all purposes other than if I really had to eat one fresh.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal