Author Topic: How much compost to buy  (Read 11290 times)

cocopops

• Acre
How much compost to buy
« on: January 23, 2011, 19:09:42 »
This year I am finally going to grow veggies.  I have abandoned putting anything in the ground as it is too poor.  My OH managed to get some wooden frames from work that will make brilliant raised beds.  They are now insitu just awaiting some compost.  I can work out the cubic meterage but all bags seem to be sold in litres.  Does anyone know how to work out how many bags I will need to buy?  I am going to buy a decent compost and obviously I don't want to buy too much nor spend loads of time going back to pick up more.

rugbypost

• Hectare
Re: How much compost to buy
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 19:31:11 »
This is going to cost you a fortune look on the net in your area for top soil buy the amount that you think you need and add a bit. if you can dig the area where you are going to plant to a depth of about 2 spades deep and add manure, this will enrich the bottom  of your raised  beds half fill with new soil more manure top up with soil and more manure the time to do this is now. Dont expect a lot  like cabbages califlower the time for them is next year. You can do salards beets onions potatoes start small because to start it cost a lot have a great time in your garden and good luck.
m j gravell

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 19:55:54 »
There are 1000 litres in a cubic metre, with most bags of compost being around 60 - 80 litres your looking at 12-15 bags per cubic metre, or around about £40 at £3.30 a bag

(around here screened top soil costs around £80 per cubic metre).  Wholesale deliveries may be cheaper, and would certainly be easier on the back and car.
Best laid plans and all that

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 20:06:07 »
Cocopops do you have any stables near to you with some very old manure. Our daughters farmer had some 8 year old manure. OH double dug the plot then we created raised beds & put the manure on top with a sprinkling of BF&B or is it FB&B & chicken pellets as it was dug over. This area hadn't been cultivated in 9 years, possibly more. The crops she were wonderful.
She paid £40.00 for approx 8 tonns.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 20:25:54 »
we have just built 2 20' x 4' beds for schools, they are 2 scaffold planks high and took 10 tons of top soil to fill them, tough work  :)
We get 8 tons of well rotted muck for 40.00, too  ;D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 20:32:54 »
Probably the same supplier Manics :). I wish we could get some for our plot.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 20:38:30 »
Jim grundy is ours, we've had some 10 yr old this year, just like soil  ;D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 21:23:04 »
That's the man. Do you think he would bring a load down the M6 for us ;D ;D ;D. Is his son a councilor?

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 22:24:00 »
Is he Ed's Brother?

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 23:43:06 »
Locally my council recycle partners do topsoil and compost for 28 quid a tonne... that's a lot of compost in terms of litres, rather less topsoil, but you  have to bag it yourself from the heaps... they weigh you in, they weigh you out, multiply the difference... Good for me, I have a big van and a decent-sized trailer... by using builders bulk delivery bags as load lines I can put nearly a tonne of topsoil in there before reaching up with the shovel gets too hard..... see if you can do tht cos it will save a bundle over buying it in bags from a GC, a tonne of compost is nearly 3000 litres in my estimate..... Also check local stables, if they poo-pick the fields you can use that straight off, fresh horse manure lacks the oomph of well rotted stable, pig or cow but isn't bad and can be used fresh to improve soil....

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 09:27:39 »
If your prepared to go and collect it loose then you can get it cheaper still.  Our local skip operators give top soil away for free as otherwise they have to pay to get it removed.

Manure is all very good but you cant grow vegetables directly in it, still needs to be mixed with soil.

Lizann

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 11:18:11 »
Our local council have a recycling facility at the rubbish tip and you can go and collect as much compost as you like.  It's not perfect, got some woody bits etc in, but I've used it to bottom my raised beds and it's ideal.  And it's free!  Do they do that where you are?
Lizann :0)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 11:19:24 »
If your prepared to go and collect it loose then you can get it cheaper still.  Our local skip operators give top soil away for free as otherwise they have to pay to get it removed.

Manure is all very good but you cant grow vegetables directly in it, still needs to be mixed with soil.

I grew spuds in pots of nothing but horse manure (fresh field manure, no straw) last year....massive crop of Congo, decent crop of everythign else.... free topsoil is good too, compost and manure break down fast...

chrisc

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 12:31:32 »

I grew spuds in pots of nothing but horse manure (fresh field manure, no straw) last year....massive crop of Congo, decent crop of everythign else.... free topsoil is good too, compost and manure break down fast...

Hmmm think Brassicas, Root crops, Salad crops might be a different matter  ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 12:44:30 »
Good point.... indeed if you are making deep beds (like a couple of feet or so) then a few inches of ballast at the bottom wouldn't go amiss either.... or clean hardcore.....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal