Author Topic: Spuds have arrived...  (Read 4764 times)

Bannerdown

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Spuds have arrived...
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2005, 23:01:24 »
I shall only say that Townsends have spuds in, these you can buy INDIVIDIUALLY or by the bushel.  I shall now read all the correspondence and go and have ten of each from your recommendations  cheers, Tony.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2005, 23:44:39 »
I've just recieved my first lot - Sarpo Mira which is the 100% blight resistant variety new this year. Rather expensive but I'll be keeping what I produce for seed next year as it's in very limited supply. Apparently there's only 250kg available this year so getting 3kg is pretty cool. If anyone's not heard of it yet, it was a strain developed pre WW2 and rescued under mortar fire from the fields around Leningrad. The University of Cardiff have been trialling it and found it completely immune to blight and this is the first year it's been available here.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2005, 09:40:43 »
Close, Doris - Dymo!! = Tim

swampig

• Not So New ...
  • Get offa my land!!..d**n dawg
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2005, 09:49:39 »
yes very close...But no cigure ;)
GAZ-P

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2005, 12:30:39 »
Hahaha, see what a glass of wine does for me! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2005, 13:34:39 »
On container growing, don't waste space by half filling it with compost before adding the tubers, potatoes grow from the stems which grow upwards from the seed so a very shallow base is required.
If you're growing in a greenhouse start now!!
There was a wee bit more than 250kg of Mira grown and now Axona has been listed T&M are pushing it.
The Sarpo varieties are not old but new and are the results of a lot of work done at the Hungarian State Potato development organisation - so communism did have some good results!! The trials are being conducted at Bangor.
Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal