Author Topic: eggs  (Read 3277 times)

birdsrfun

• Quarter Acre
eggs
« on: January 22, 2011, 09:10:32 »
Spring has obviously sprung - duck eggs for past 4 days! even with minus 5 overnight temps.

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
Re: eggs
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 14:35:44 »
How lovely.  My sister keeps ducks, the eggs are gorgeous.

Two of my hens have been laying all winter, but no signs of the other two lazy girlies getting their act together and joining them yet!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 14:40:44 »
Two of my hens been laying all winter too, but as for others..well won't be long now..wattles are changing colour now..when they changed from pale pink to red they start and they are nearly there ;)

Morris

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 14:49:15 »
My two are still pale pink, and small.  I keep glaring at them every day in the hope they will be embarrassed into flushing red!  I didn't record the date (this year I will, I will write down all significant garden dates... ;) but I think it was mid-feb last year when they came into lay.  

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 14:55:23 »
Morris..that's about right time...they are not late with laying at all..
But if you have some greens stuff to give them it will give them boost health wise..vitamin and all that..and often it can 'jump start' they laying..sort of wake up call for spring ;) Don't give huge quantities this time of the year..just little and often and their 'body clock' will them them that growing season has started ;D

Morris

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 15:00:35 »
They're getting all the treats girlies could want, very pampered!  They are good girls really, I'm just impatient.  Though,  mind you, they are modern hybrids who aren't supposed to go off lay in winter.

gazzaroo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 17:17:11 »
my 5 duck have been laying 4 egg a day none stop ,,iv only had them for about 6 mouth ,, i now think iv got a boy in there as iv seen them trying to mate ..and i only get 4 egg a day never had 5 yet

birdsrfun

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 09:55:45 »
Silkies laying now too - will have to go on watch soon for illicit nesting...

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 08:54:53 »
My cheeky girls have already started the great egg hide, every day i have tohave a tour of the garden to find where theyve laid them this time!

ususally some muddy old hole rather than a clean warm private nest box ???

x sunloving

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 09:43:57 »
We are considering removing the nest box. They lay their eggs in the coop & 6 of them pile into the nest box on top of each other to sleep ::).

birdsrfun

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 11:07:36 »
You need more than one nest box. They like the darkest part of the house, under the window is popular. If you let them lay anywhere they will tread on the eggs and some will be broken and they will all be very dirty,eggs are porous so you will have trouble of washing the poo off them. Nest boxes can be made of almost anything - cardboard boxes are ok, you can burn or compost them regularly so disease/insects don't get a hold. Hope this helps.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 12:39:48 »
I'm going to put a she box in if we take the nest box out. It's not pooy where they lay the eggs it's all in the nest box ::).

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 20:48:14 »
All the books I've read say that you need 1 nest box per 3 or4 chickens ...well, I've got 6 and when they are all laying we usually find all eggs in same nest box ::) ;D...I think I have to teach mine to read books...
This lot of mine has mind of their own....previous lots did behave by the book.
Janet..looks like your chucks have made their mind up too and it is too late now to fight against 'women' who know what they want ;)..as long as their laying corner is kept clean..that's all what you can do and let nature take it's course.

Morris

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 12:28:14 »
One of my non-laying girls has a red comb now - eggs any day soon, I think... ;D ;D ;D

The fourth isn't showing any signs yet, lazy madam!

Morris

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 12:24:07 »
 ;D ;D ;D

Finally, 2 Columbine eggs this morning, one pale blue, one creamy beige.

A present for Valentine's day - and such a beautiful sunny day as well.
 ;D ;D ;D

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 17:46:00 »
Well done morris
Fab to have eggs each day and feel that the girls are earning thier keep.

did you have them boiled?
x sunloving

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal