Author Topic: What to start off when...  (Read 2831 times)

OberonUK

• Quarter Acre
What to start off when...
« on: January 18, 2011, 17:39:37 »
I've got itchy fingers and need to get some seeds sewn if only to cheer me up a bit. Last year I was too keen and I think I started things far too soon. Seed packet advice is all well and good, but I doubt that setting off some of the things that the packets SAY could be planted in January is such a good idea.

I have a small greenhouse which I can heat to at least keep the frosts off but not much more. It's bubble-wrapped and ready to go. Pots are scrubbed, garden dug (and fleece about to go down to try to keep it a little warmer. I'm inexperienced but enthusiastic - maybe too enthusiastic!

What seeds are safe to set off now, even as a first sewing?  I have some garlic cloves already but wondered what other suggestions people might be able to offer, either for mow or for early February?

I'm in Salford, so it's not exactly Mediterranean here!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: What to start off when...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 17:50:07 »
Not much to go in now - personally I have a few long season chilis in and will start on some onions from seed soon.  These however will be indoors but I suppose a heated greenhouse will suffice but chilis need heat to germinate.  You could try some radish in the greenhouse or get some braodbeans going in pots ready to plant out later...
Some may get some early toms on the go or some aubergines but I dont think this winter has done with us just yet so I will wait until March comes around until I get really going..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 17:51:51 »
You can start lettice, beetroot spring onions you can start most things but is it cost effective the nights are really cold with more frost on the way and have you  the time   .You  can start off chitting your potatoes  light and warm  and airry place  you can sow leeks  something deep half fill plant seed they should poke through in about 17 to 21 days they need a long growing season plant out when they are as thick as a pencil  Save a few pennys wait a little while longer You will enjoy just the same. Rugbypost
m j gravell

Tonythegardener

• Quarter Acre
  • http://tonythegardener.blogspot.com/
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 21:05:44 »
Unless you have a heated greenhouse then I think that it is too early to begin sowing seeds. 

Having said that I have planted Onion 'Ailisa Craig' (planted in seed tray 4/01/11) and Onion Bedfordshire Champion (Planted in seed tray 16/01/11)

Some people are suggesting that you can plant leeks now but unless you want to get really big leeks and can keep them going until planting time I would leave these until later in the year. 

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 21:49:12 »
If you haven't any heat, you can still start anything that is hardy.  I aim to sow broad beans, spinach, peas and sweet peas as soon as I get organised, and certainly by mid Feb, as well as other salad leaves, winter-hardy types of lettuce, rocket etc.  I'm also going to do some annual flowers that take a long time to get going: cleomes, leonotis, scabious.

This is especially important for me as I have (relatively) limited space so I like to get in 2 crops wherever I can, so a good early start by being able to put the above out in March (with cloches/fleece if necessary) is very useful.  If I had a full-size allotment I possibly wouldn't bother, although it is still lovely to have peas/sweet peas/broad beans by June - and in favourable years, by the end of May - and fresh salad leaves in April.

Of course, if it is solid snow in March/April, I will be stuffed!  It's a gamble, but I think it's worth it, it cheers me up no end to have green shoots coming through.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 00:16:05 »
What about starting some salad crops in pots on the windowstill which you can eat in a few weeks?

As others have said i would hold fire :)

OberonUK

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 08:17:26 »
What about starting some salad crops in pots on the windowstill which you can eat in a few weeks?

As others have said i would hold fire :)

I'm not allowed to use the window sills - "You've got a bloody greenhouse for that" Nuff said! Thinking from what has been said that I could certainly bung in a few Sweet Peas (I have plenty of seed saved from last year, plus was given fresh for 2011) and maybe some peas for eating as shoots. When you can get a huge bag of marrowfat peas from the supermarket which work fine for shoots, then that seems worth a go just for the cheer they will bring.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 08:25:38 »
I'm going to put a few broad beans in pots to fill in the gaps in the outdoor sown ones but thats all
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 15:22:56 »
starting off sweet peas at the weekend  ;D

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 21:35:53 »
I sowed some salad leaves to try as "micro greens" when I went to work this morning- nothing had germinated so I left them under cover, just checked and 1 1/4 " high. Also doing early peas and onions in my little propagator.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 23:35:04 »
onioons and leeks in modules, ditto some summer cabbage too soon....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal