Author Topic: Is it Spring?  (Read 1781 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Is it Spring?
« on: January 12, 2011, 16:52:17 »
Our lovely bantams must think that Spring is either here or just around the corner.
On Sunday we had an egg from one of the 4 ladies & today we had another one. Also on Sunday the 2 Speckeldy's laid 2 eggs each. Very exciting times. I shall have eggs coming out of my ears at this rate as I am also chicken sitting the 3 girls over the road.

rugbypost

• Hectare
Re: Is it Spring?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 17:46:03 »
Hello Janet those young ladys of yours are doing well , all the family must be  looking forward to all  the home baking  grandma is going to do.   How do you find time to chicken  sit my wife tell,s me multi tasking is me drinking a coffee in the morning and reading the paper. (lol)  mike
m j gravell

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 20:46:28 »
It was chicken sitting last year that made me realise how much I would like to have my own. They have an eglu which is sooooooo easy to clean out. I keep looking on ebay as I would love one.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 11:02:41 »
Yes it is spring ;D
I gave season first kale for my girls this morning..and now they have come out from their winter gloom..there is such a noise coming out of their pen ;D
Normally they don't come vocal untill laying time..around end of Feb ...maybe they will reward me with extra early egg season ;D
Egg counter is on...

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 13:33:38 »
They are all very noisy too, such a lovely sound. I even had a shower with the window open so I hear them ;) ;D ;D.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 08:57:42 »
My three ladies are doing me proud with an egg a day each since nov! and they are larger than last years eggs to so a bit more noise before each one at the moment and fights for the nest box as Bianca takes ages to lay hers.

I'm a bit sick of quiches and omlettes though need a cow for cream and then the custard can break out!
  :)
x sunloving

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 16:32:43 »
I noticed how many buds there are in the garden as well.  I think perhaps, with the early, cold spell, and now mild weather and lengthening days, nature seems to have decided it is March!  There are blue-tits nesting in our shed.

My two young girls have been laying an egg each most days all winter - I am so pleased with the darlings.  The original pair, big fat columbines, haven't produced one since November.  I am hoping they will come into lay any day soon (it was Feb for them last year) and then it is back to abundance.

Love my girlies...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal