Author Topic: wind damage  (Read 12364 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: wind damage
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2005, 22:58:25 »
I do feel for those who have lost their greenhouses, I know i would be devastated to loose mine - particularly as i have put so much work into getting it up and running.  (insert relief smilie)

I think one saving grace duing the storms was having toughened glass rather than ordinary horti-glass. It means less panes of glass and less places for the wind to get into as well as resisting it better.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2005, 14:53:10 »
Such a shame MissBaritone, such a crying shame!  My heart goes out to all of you who have lost lumps of greenhouse or entire houses in this winter weather.

Does the horti glass become weaker as it ages??

ajb

• Half Acre
    • My garden blog
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2005, 21:37:59 »
Stable door, horse bolted, etc. Have added extra dabs of silicone around the clips to stop them slipping as the frame bounces in the wind - after loosing 2 x 6ft panes of safety glass, one of which survived falling off the roof (kudos to the glass) the other turning into a million pieces and spreading itself across my neighbours allotment. Suffice to say I did not enjoy trying to pick up all the glass in the manure mulch. *sigh*. At least the lean-to at home only lost one pane of glass.

The greenhouse was square in August, now slightly twisted. Worse than some, a lot better than others. At least my banana survived!
No fruit tree knowingly left un-tried. http://abseeds.blogspot.com/

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2005, 18:04:58 »
I may not have had anyactual damage (yet) but the recent windy weather has caused me to start dreaming about wind damage to the greenhouse!  ::).

Last night a tree fell on it and broke it into three pieces (strangely no glass broken). However all fine when I woke up this morning  :) :) ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2005, 18:23:19 »
Too late - after the gales we had today - DO REMEMBER to put a pane or whatever at each end of your cloches. Our 3mm x 1' x 2' pieces of glass barn cloches were airborne today. Luckily, they did not reach the neighbour's garden. = Tim

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2005, 21:34:03 »
We used to suffer broken panes several times the first year we had the greenhouse. Tried it with the window and door open, adding lots of clips but nothing worked. Always from the back wall of the greenhouse, the panes got sucked out by underpressure as the wind hit the side of the greenhouse and blew around the corner.

I brainstormed and came up with an idea. I bought some 1 cm square wood, cut lengths the same width as the window panes and whittled the ends to the thickness of the profile that the clips fit behind. Hold the wood stick diagonally against the pane and turn it horizontally while pushing it a bit until it fits tight behind the profile on each side. We never had another broken window from the wind since.

Just happen to find a picture on which you can see it.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 22:01:27 by ina »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal