Produce > Under Glass

wind damage

(1/6) > >>

Pseudonym:
Hi,
    Just wondered if Anyone has used silicone to hold grenhouse glass in ..
These gales we have just had have broke Me about 11panes..
The glass clips commercially bought dont seem to be up to Job of holding glass tight..
So I wondered about putting a line of silicone between glass and frame  Then using glass clips ...
Anyone any ideas on this?...    Jim

Palustris:
In the instruction (hah,translated from the German by a non English speaking Finn)manual for our new g/h it mentioned using silicone sealant as an extra precaution in windy areas. We have never tried it, rather we put wind break material over the glass over winter. Actually we did this more to stop the glass from flying away, but since then we have not had any blown out either.
One other point which was made, but again have not really dared to try it out, is that in really windy situations you should leave the door and ventilation wide open so the wind can go straight through! 
The g/h we have which I put in totally the wrong place as far as wind is concerned has a door at either end and since we replaced the glass with windbreak material we again have had no breakages. Obviously this g/h is rather less than frost free.

Doris_Pinks:
Interesting Eric, when we lived in a hurricane Island, the advice from generations was to leave a window slightly open to relieve the pressure build up in your house, and thus save your roof! We never lost a roof in all the hurricanes!  (may have just been good luck though! :))  DP

ruudbarb:
My greenhouse 'lost' several panes of glass when it was first erected 5 years ago but amazingly none broke.  On replacing them I put in extra clips - cheap and easily available - and none have come out since.  So I'm sitting here tonight with fingers and toes all crossed and clasping a dirty great lump of wood, because another night of severe gales has been forecast.

Palustris:
Hope it works for you. I was working in the Alpine House this afternoon, which is sheltered from this SouthWest gale and I was watching the other greenhouse 'flexing' every time a gust of wind hit it.
Not nice!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version