Author Topic: Shallots  (Read 1734 times)

JoeCocker

• Quarter Acre
Shallots
« on: January 16, 2011, 13:33:58 »
Hi

I bought some Shallots from Tesco for eating, would i be OK to plant these or should i buy some from a garden centre?

Thank you :)

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: Shallots
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 14:22:59 »
I would buy from a GC or other supplier.

Some of Tescos shallots aren't shallots in the horticultural sense.  They are fancy long onions.

Even if they are true shallots, they may either rot or run to seed in the ground.

I grew Banana Shallots from seed last year (T&M) and they were lovely, but they are onions I am pretty sure of that.

JoeCocker

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 14:44:15 »
I may plant four just as an experiment, but i'll also buy some from a proper source. I want banana shallots, not small ones which are abit fiddley for cooking in my opinion

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 14:57:38 »
I've grown Jemor shallots, each shallot bulb produces a good number of strong flavoured banana shallots, spring or autumn planting but the downside is that they are expensive.  Very expensive.

And I would recommend the Banana Shallot seed from T&M.  One seed produces one shallot (which is why I think that, botanically, they are probably onions).  But nice and both are good keepers too.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 16:37:26 »
If you plant your banana shallot bulbs, they will either sit there and rot, or grow on and flower. The good news is you can dry the seeds head out, and sow your own next January, and you will get one shallot per seed. I'd not bother, eat the ones you have, buy some banana shallot seed now and sow it straightaway, plant them out early April, and you will have banana shallots this year. I got bulbs as long as my hand that way. I also grow Jermor and Longor spring grown sets, they behave like 'normal' shallots and grow new bulbs around the originals in clumps, so you get 6-10 new shallots per original bulb. they are the biggest set grown shallots I have been able to get my hands on so far!

To illustrate my point: Below is a photo of one of my allium beds a couple of years ago. The left hand side has Jermor shallots, starting to clump up (this was about May time I think). The right hand side has individual Banana shallots, grown from seed. The bottom photo is of the individual banana shallot, just starting to develop its lovely pink stripey coat.

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 17:08:46 »
I usually grow Jermor Shallots, and it is true they are quite expensive but they are lovely, and I usually have quite an abundant crop. I plant them in February depending on the weather, but even if it is very cold they still seem to do well. Saying that, last year was not such a good year with them, so didn't have so many. I am hoping that was an anomoly and this year I will be back to having a great crop. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal