Author Topic: Fabric conditioner allergy  (Read 16174 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Fabric conditioner allergy
« on: January 14, 2011, 00:21:44 »
I have always used Lenor fabric conditioner. Over the past few months I seem to have been suffering allergy symptoms eg sneezing,runny nose,dry and sore throat and cough. I have been to my GP and have been prescribed different nasal sprays. I have today noticed that my Lenor is a type that regenerates it's scent whenever you rub the clothes you have used the conditioner on.
It really does have a strong scent when you rub!
Has anyone else had a problem with fabric conditioner or can someone recommend some good reading on this subject?
Can anyone recommend a range of perfume free soap powder and conditioner?

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Fabric conditioner allergy
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 05:20:53 »
My daughter in law uses ecover on the babys clothes because of a suspected allergy. It don't stink like the stuff my old lady uses. Sometimes I smell worse than a whores handbag, I wish she would not use the stuff.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 07:19:04 »
I don't do smelly stuff either, largely cos of excema. I use Olive Oil soap for baths  (the purer the better). For clothes I tend to use either the Ecover stuff for woollens and non-biological wash powder for the rest - and no conditioner (I don't like it).
You could also try washing balls or Indian nuts to wash your clothes. These last 2 have no scent, but you can only use the Indian nuts on coloured clothing. I know they sound a bit weird but they do work.

Hope you get something sorted out soon

1066  :)

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 07:43:14 »
Both of our neighbours have tumble driers in the garden sheds, and use these smelly things, -they stink our garden out at times.
We use ecover products and only use fabric conditioner on towels.
Also use olive oil soap like 1066.
Anne x

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 07:49:20 »
I thin.k vinegar is a clothes softener amongst other things

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 08:06:24 »
Yes, you can use vinegar as a water softener in the rinse cycle. Also, you can use 1/4 of the amount of powder that they recommend and it will still get the job done without stinking out the place.

I use 1/2 a tablet where they recommend 2- a box can last a year if you are careful. I also regularly use soda crystals or borax when there are gardening stains - put directly on the stain rather than just religiously use what they tell you to use.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 08:30:12 »
I thin.k vinegar is a clothes softener amongst other things

Nice! whats worse? smelling like a pine forest or a bag of chips.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 09:12:09 »
Eating a bag of chips in a pine forest... worst of both worlds...  :o

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 09:20:32 »
Fabric conditioner gives me eczema where it is in contact with the skin.  Same with biological washing power.  I get hayfever type symptoms but not from fabric conditioner.

Do we really need fabric conditioner anyway?  And there are so may items where the label say don't use it (towels and underwear for definite, bedding plus other clothes), there aren't that many wash loads where you can put it in.

Leave it out for a few months and see what you think.  There was an ad for lenor where they were promoting the concentrated product as being more environmentally friendly because fewer trucks were shipping it round the country, the logic extension of that argument is not to buy it at all and none would be used.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 09:32:14 »

Do we really need fabric conditioner anyway?  And there are so may items where the label say don't use it (towels and underwear for definite, bedding plus other clothes), there aren't that many wash loads where you can put it in.

I use fabric conditioner in all my wash including towels, underwear and bedding. 

I buy the sensitive conditioners that are suitable for washing baby clothes and they don't have a strong smell to them.  I also use non bio washing powder.  I used to suffer with eczema and my OH's skin is sensitive too.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 10:04:39 »
Vinegar used as fabric conditioner doesn't smell!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 11:45:22 »

I'll take your word for it, but leave it for someone else to try, I've spilt some really dubious wines that were only fit for pickling gerkins down my front over the years. Do you think that could be the cause of my soft floppy belly ;)

jazzidoodle

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 12:59:49 »
Kleeneze do (or did) wash balls which dont use any washing powder at all (it is supposed to be all natural) I havent tried myself but worth a talk with your local kleeneze agent

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 13:27:17 »
I always start sneezing and wheezing in the cleaning product aisles in supermarkets, which seems like mother nature is trying to tell me something! Have never used fabric conditioner and always go for the least chemically option when buying washing powder, and it does the job fine.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 13:48:05 »
We use those rubber balls that look like little mines in our tumble dryer, instead of fabric conditioner. They do make a huge noise though, but as our utility room is outside, we don't have to suffer it!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 13:53:23 »
I am not allowed to use it, as OH came out in a rash, and the smell lasts for ever, even after washing and washing.  And when OH went to a disco/party alone the girl he was chatting up said I know you have a girl friend cause I can smell the fabric conditioner. Son complained about my towels as they weren't washed in fabric conditioner, so I bought him a new towel. (Must admit they were a bit hard, but he was using the towel used for a bath mat, told him he had been spoilt and to stop moaning).  His (soon to be) ex-wife used a lot of fabric conditioner and after washing some of his shirts without, they still smell, and he wants his pants ironed.  :o :o :o  Also if you use too much washing detergent, if you rinse the clothes in the sink after (don't normally do this) it is amazing how much detergent is still in the clothes.  Maybe I should go back to washing by hand (I don't think so).  I sometimes do a wash with no detergent, or fabric conditioner, just hot water in the washing machine to clear the back log of soap build-up.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 13:55:04 »
A lovely shed and a tumble dryer, you are so lucky.  My clothes are drying on the radiators and do go very stiff.

asj

• Half Acre
  • Esher, Surrey
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 14:39:05 »
I use the ones like mines, as Deb P says they are noisy but my utility room is far enough away that I can't hear them!  They really do work, though - I used to have a lot of problems with static but no more. :)
War on slugs and snails!!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 14:40:28 »
We used to have a rescued Bearded Collie & he developed a really bad skin condition. The vet was doing tests but I thought I would try washing his bedding in something different. I used Acdo & the skin problem vanished.

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 14:46:07 »

I'll take your word for it, but leave it for someone else to try...
I can confirm wholeheartedly that it doesn't smell  ;). I've used white vinegar as a rinse aid in the dishwasher and instead of fabric conditioner in the washing machine for 6 years now. If you still like your clothes to smell of something then you can add a few drops of your favourite essential oil to the conditioner drawer as well/instead of the vinegar. Much nicer than the artificial smell you get from the fabric conditioners  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal