Author Topic: Greenhouse gutter ends  (Read 4651 times)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Greenhouse gutter ends
« on: January 08, 2011, 18:24:35 »
I need to replace the gutter ends - the ones that empty into the water butt -  on both sides of my greenhouse [a 6x4 aluminium] as they are friable and starting to break.

I know I can probably make some sort of contraption with a plastic bottle and a piece of string etc  ;), but would prefer is possible to buy a proper gutter end that might last a bit longer.

I have done an internet search and there appear to be several available ie from B&Q and other garden outlets, but I was wondering which type is suitable for my greenhouse - don't really want to start my own collection of gutter ends in order to find one that fits ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Greenhouse gutter ends
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 18:59:28 »
take one of your old ones with you when shopping?
You couldn't make it up!

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 22:50:39 »
Now why didn't I think of that ;)

Thanks, Tony :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 23:44:53 »
sometimes the easiest answers are the hardest to see! ( I know this from yrs of finding out the hard way)
You couldn't make it up!

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 17:10:08 »
I was enquiring last year about greenhouse guttering at a local greenhouse firm (makers) and was told that the small guttering is a joke. When it rains heavily the water shoots over the outside edge of the gutter and gets wasted. Far better to fit some normal house guttering (4.5in) it will catch more water.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 17:19:42 »
Hmmm...I don't know..majority of the rain is contained on my greehouse gutters..but when we get those unusually heavy showers there is not much change even for normal gutters to manage that amount.
I think if the gutters are kept clear from debris they do their job.
I've got 3 different makes and size of GH's and with all of the the standard guttering is been adequate..it is the downpipes and possible joint connections that give the trouble...bottle neck effect.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal