Author Topic: and the unkindness of 'friends'  (Read 7298 times)

daitheplant

• Acre
Re: and the unkindness of 'friends'
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 21:07:24 »
I have heard pepper is good for keeping cats away - I ran out and used curry powder instead - never again.

It`s not pepper but Pepper Dust, that`s used. :)
DaiT

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 21:08:43 »
Well, you know, when you are feeding feral cats, it is exactly the same as feeding any other vermin and drawing them to the allotment site.

Rats, woodpigeons, foxes etc ... it is all the same.  

You are not a good neighbour if you are doing this.  that is the reality of it.  Sorry but you have just got to wake up and see the real world.

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 21:12:55 »
Primarily, it`s an allotment site, so the people who pay for the privilage of having a plot MUST have precedence over feral cats. They are entitled to grow their produce excrement free.
DaiT

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 21:22:37 »
So kill everything ay ?

Pathetic.

pumkinlover

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 21:26:32 »
I am going to repeat myself but Betty does not just feed the cats-she also has had them neutered.  The cats would be there anyway- but if not for her involvement there would probably be cats and kittens.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 21:29:41 »
^^ wtf are you on ??? where did anyone suggest killing anything??

I don't put down any poisons on my plot but neither do I encourage any rats, foxes, birds or cats.  I feed wild birds at home at considerable expense but that has no place on an allotment site.  I see no conflict here.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 21:34:42 »
It is wonderful the way Betty cares for these animals.

This world is not just for Human Beings who are the biggest providers of C**p and pollution on the planet.

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 21:41:23 »
I am a cat lover, always have been, 4 months ago we had 3 cats. Since then, we`ve had 1 put down because, at 15, Gizmo couldn`t manage anymore. Smudge, at 9 years of age, was put down because she had cancer, NO ONE on this site has the right to tell me I am suggesting these animals be put down. They CAN however, be rescued and, hopefully, re homed.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 21:55:13 by daitheplant »
DaiT

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 21:46:02 »
Dai, they're feral.  You can't re-home feral cats.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 21:48:46 »

Well done Squash over your concern for the feral cats,  once again a difference of opinion starts a disagreement over cats, but if they are feral in the first place and don't belong to anyone I'm surprised the vet neutered them and did not dispose of them humanely,

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2011, 21:53:42 »
I was addressing my remarks to Denbyvisitor sorry I was not clear.

Cats are not vermin.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 21:56:02 by betula »

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2011, 21:57:58 »

These cats have allowed themselves to be neutered, they are also being fed. Therefore they are re homable. Call in  Cat Protection League.
DaiT

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2011, 21:59:30 »
You have no idea what you are on about.

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2011, 22:03:11 »
You have no idea what you are on about.

You are talking to me? If so YOU are talking through your backside.
DaiT

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2011, 22:05:12 »
 but if they are feral in the first place and don't belong to anyone I'm surprised the vet neutered them and did not dispose of them humanely,

This sort of remark makes me feel very sad.  Triangle was born feral and had no human contact till she was about 4 months old.  We managed to get her in a cage and have her neutered at the vets.  
She is now so tame that she goes to people she knows and can be picked up and stroked.
These cats are not rubbish.  They should not be disposed of.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2011, 22:05:44 »
Years ago the CPL asked me to re home a cat,it lived under my sons bed or under the bath.

I left food in the kitchen it went down in the middle of the night to feed.

for weeks this went on until I left a window open and it buggered off.

It was wild and terrified.

I have a pretty good backside even though I say it myself..........I feel free to talk through it any time I choose. :P

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2011, 22:12:47 »

These cats have allowed themselves to be neutered, they are also being fed. Therefore they are re homable. Call in  Cat Protection League.

We work very closely indeed with the Cats Protection and with their help two of the cats have already been neutered.  It wasn't a case of them 'allowing themselves' to be neutered, they had no choice.

Have you had much experience with feral cats?  If you were going to rehome a cat, which would you choose - a cat which was used to being handled or a totally wild, spitting and scratching one?

The local CP has many 'tame' kittens needing homes.  People are going to take them before they even think of having an adult feral cat.  The CP do not even rehome ferals to homes these days, but to farms, stables and allotments.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2011, 22:13:55 »
But YOU don`t know how many cats we`ve had in the past 35 years. YOU don`t KNOW where these cats came from. YOU don`t KNOW what condition these cats were in when they came to us. YOU don`t KNOW what these cats went through before they came to us. Smudge was terrified of heights and children. These so called feral cats, ARE NOT FERAL. They would NOT allow themselves to be neutered and they would not be openly fed. YOU are talking through your backside, no matter HOW beautiful it may be. ;D
DaiT

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2011, 22:15:05 »
 but if they are feral in the first place and don't belong to anyone I'm surprised the vet neutered them and did not dispose of them humanely,

This sort of remark makes me feel very sad.  Triangle was born feral and had no human contact till she was about 4 months old.  We managed to get her in a cage and have her neutered at the vets.  
She is now so tame that she goes to people she knows and can be picked up and stroked.
These cats are not rubbish.  They should not be disposed of.
So the cats are now not feral by your description,  why is  the cat still living on the allotments, why not take her home and give her  proper loving care home rather than hanging round on some allotment site upsetting other allotment holders and the problem would not have happened in the first place,

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2011, 22:18:40 »
Mr Smith - you may not have been following Betty's other threads, but she can't take the cats home, since she has two dogs that don't like cats. Anyway there are 7 of them! (cats)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 22:21:03 by grawrc »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal