Author Topic: raspberry fruiting seasons  (Read 1382 times)

calumcampbell

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
raspberry fruiting seasons
« on: January 03, 2011, 20:28:24 »
Hi All,

Great to feel the days getting longer. Roll on the spring !

Can anyone advise me on whether the fruiting season for raspberries is likely to begin a bit later than advertised by suppliers if the canes are planted in the north of England ? For example, most suppliers of Joan J raspberry canes suggest that fruit can be taken from end July / early August. Might the beginning of the season in Sheffield (where I'd be planting) be more toward mid-August ?   

Any help much appreciated, especially from anyone in the North who grows Joan J !

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: raspberry fruiting seasons
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 20:54:38 »
Being in Lacashire all I can say is that the raspberry season follows the strawberry season and there are the Autumn raspberries which come that bit later.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:58:51 »
All dates on seeds and fruit stocks for planting and sowing are generic.  Weather usually puts our sowing and harvesting a couple of weeks behind the southerners.  This past few years has been unpredictable due to inconsistent weather.  Example being we get less droughts and hosepipe bans here in the north which has a knock on effect in affected areas.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

calumcampbell

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 09:08:16 »
Thanks Purple and kt, much appreciated. 

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 15:18:37 »
I grow Autumn Bliss in Derby and once established can be picking from mid July...  :)

allanwoolley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 19:13:31 »
I've had my raspberry canes for over ten years and I never knew whether they were summer or autumn fruiting.   However I have, for some years , been cutting half down to ground level in late winter and leaving the other half (those with just last year's growth) to fruit earlier in the summer.   And this way of operating has worked well giving me a long season of fruiting.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal