Author Topic: are you ready for spring ? all dug over !  (Read 6315 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: are you ready for spring ? all dug over !
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 19:25:07 »
Not a chance.  Had 4 weeks off in November - had non stop rain and snow. Back at work for 2 weeks followed by another 4 weeks off but constant rain and snow again.  Absolutely gutted.  Was hoping to be all done by Christmas.  OH is chuffed with all the bad weather as I have done every job in the house that was on her list.... painted living & dining rooms, passage, staircase,  landing,  all ceilings,  laid new floor in livingroom, laminate in daughters bedroom,  electrics in attic and all boarded out too. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 20:50:13 »
Well as I can't get my little wooden sign asking Santa to please stop here stuck in my veggie patch out the back here I don't think there is much hope of digging yet.  ;D

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 22:38:32 »
No  >:(

Stupid snow, very annoyed now, hopefully dry this weekend :-X

Well done the organised people  :)
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

PeterVV

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 22:40:59 »
done some digging, but not all, I have onions, garlic and broad beans in....then the snow came!
what realy annoyed me was that my fruit trees and bushes got delivered just before, and even though the ground wasnt totally frozen, it was not the best time to put them in, but as they were bare rooted, I had to put them in .....will have to wait until spring now to see if they survived......

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 18:36:15 »
bump

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2010, 18:59:38 »
Just one undug bit, and I was all on track to get it all done before Christmas - but then....well you can guess the rest. Since then it has been frozen solid...but maybe tomorrow I will be able to have a go at it!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2010, 19:08:04 »
I'm ready for spring for sure ::)..but as for digging..I tend to do as I need it..those beds that were covered with deep mulch in Autumn were dug first..and those that have winter/spring crops will be dug once they are cleared..others,,well when I get to it..if I do them and not mulch them, I'll only end up turning them over again in spring.
But not being able to do anything at all in lottie for some while due weather..even winter digging suddenly start appeal tempting ::) ;D...anything but not sitting inside...

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2011, 15:07:16 »
I hate seeing soil exposed to the elements through the winter, all that soil oxidising, and nutrient leaching!!
 ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2011, 15:34:22 »
A very good reason to keep everything mulched!

pumkinlover

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2011, 16:51:47 »
green manures!

Tonythegardener

• Quarter Acre
  • http://tonythegardener.blogspot.com/
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 19:25:12 »
Still to dig over the potato bed but I am not in any hurry.  Got a lot of horse muck to dig in but I will just spread this over until I dig.  I still have parsnips from last year in this bed and I may have to clamp these. 

EnglishRose

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 17:19:13 »
Well, I'm more ready than I was before Christmas but not nearly as ready as I had planned!  I booked some leave before Christmas with the intention of spending lots of time on my plot clearing the ground (I took on a *very* overground plot last summer), but then it snowed.  And snowed.  And snowed.

I managed to get a couple of hours in last Sunday, clearing yet more bramble roots and other annoying weeds from the soil.  The plan is to spend more time down there this Saturday - so of course it's going to rain cats and dogs.  In the unlikely event that it doesn't rain, I'll be clearing a patch of ground ready for my compost area, finishing off the digging and starting to think about edging some of the beds.  There's a lot to do  :-[

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2011, 13:32:22 »
Going to restart the digging soon I hope, got about half the number 1 plot done before the weather turned on us, nearly all of that is under 6"+ of manure too cos I can get all the horse poo I can haul away frmo a local stable... Number 2 plot will be getting a weedkill/cardboard/plstic mulch and plenty of poo to grow potatoes and squash (and possibly sweetcorn) without a full digover.... I've used the technique before adn it works quite well...

chrisc

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2011, 13:53:57 »
First weekend on the lotty, plenty to do without doing anything to the soil, install my new upright coldframe /small greenhouse, fill all the pots I will be using for my chillis and peppers  put the netting round the fruit cage and just wait for March to come, :)

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2011, 16:49:58 »
loads still to do although I don't do a great deal of digging , it is mainly weeding and tidying and prepping - of 31 beds I still have 15 to do, but I know it will get done as always  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2011, 17:24:24 »
Loads to do for me as well, but as long as I can keep going steadily I'll be able to keep ahead of it. I'll be putting stuff in from now till late May or so so there's time.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 15:53:42 »
bump  ing this up

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal