Author Topic: Council compost  (Read 1777 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Council compost
« on: January 14, 2011, 14:03:42 »
Well our compost arrived yesterday, and I met many of my allotment friends (and some newcomers, who were very pleasant and friendly, even asking me for advice which is a bit of a joke, as I just bung it in and hope for the best) whilst collecting some.  We also have wood chip and horse manure, all free, so I got over excited and didn't know which pile to go to first.  I think the free compost brings out the worst in people as some people are so greedy, and take more than their share.  I pity the people who work, cause by the weekend it will all be gone to the retired people who pay half the rent.  I do agree that we get good value as spend more time up there, but that is why I only got an allotment when I retired, cause whilst I was working just couldn't give it the time it needs.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: Council compost
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 15:18:47 »
It is just the same where I am. We don't get any free stuff delivered but if we did it wouldn't last half a day.

When I took on my plot it was clear that it had been ransacked by my friendly neighbours.  And 2 years later, part of my compost bin is still propped up against the fence at the back of their plot.  They had no use for it but they took it all the same.

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 16:25:06 »
It is just the same where I am. We don't get any free stuff delivered but if we did it wouldn't last half a day.

When I took on my plot it was clear that it had been ransacked by my friendly neighbours.  And 2 years later, part of my compost bin is still propped up against the fence at the back of their plot.  They had no use for it but they took it all the same.

My neighbour did the same said it was his but had blown over in the wind At the time we had large bushes and trees separating us!!!. 18 months later and he still hasn't used it or really looked after his plot. Still as my dad used to say "There's nothing as queer as folk"

XCHAS

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 15:14:58 »
I haven't been to my plot since the compost was delivered Borlotti, the vultures would have had it within a few days, one bloke in particular is the greediest fecker on site and his plot sits inches above his path while his neighbours sit well below the path, if we had compost and woodchips there would be mayhem if some missed out, personally I wouldn't encourage manure on site from the council as it may be infected.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 15:40:13 »
Don't think this manure was from the Council, think the Allotment Sec. got it from local stables, it seems OK, but we will see.  He is quite pro-active, if that is the right word, but people still moan, whereas they should be pleased someone is organising this.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 19:48:35 »

We have to pay £2.50 a bag for compost off our council, but I do  agree about the vultures of this world in there with their snouts grabbing it all whilst most people are at work,  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal