Author Topic: cockrells  (Read 3841 times)

snuffitts

cockrells
« on: January 03, 2011, 15:31:54 »
hi all members and admin,
firstly a happy new year to you all.
my question is one of our members has discovered that he is in possesssion of a cockrell, owning the bird from young was not aware of the fact, i have heard so many coflicting reports as to what is classiffied as rural and urban as to the situation which this birds life depends. we are not a council run site as we are self maintained but dont want to appease any laws. our site is situated on one side by a nature reserve and the other has a canal running allongside with the nearest houses being approx two hundred yards away, any advise would be appreciated

regards snuffitts

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: cockrells
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 16:46:31 »
cockerels on allotments can be a noise nuisance, and as such are governed by the control of pollution act.

however, if no one is complaining............................... ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 17:04:05 »
Experience on my site suggests that if you're a safe distance from houses you're unlikely to get complaints. Tell him to say nothing and let sleeping dogs snore on!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 17:11:15 »
Hi snuffitts, welcome to A4A.

As far as the committee are concerned unless your site rules prohibit keeping cockerels there's no need for them to get involved.  If someone wants to make a complaint of statutory nuisance as tonybloke suggests it's a matter between the allotmenteer and the enforcement authority and nothing to do with the committee.

Did you have a specific concern?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 10:12:41 »

From my experience you only have a problem when a complaint is made, I can bring to mind three instances when this happened in our area, one was about a cockerel crowing, also one about sheep being moved through the village to fresh grazing which meant going past their property, and a complaint about the church bells ringing on a Sunday morning, :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 17:05:19 »
Were they all the same person? What happened?

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 19:41:50 »

Two differant people in two different villages, one chap moved up from London (where else) to a very small village in fact an hamlet and complained about some ones Cockerel crowing first thing in the morning and then a complaint also went in about the church bells ringing on a Sunday morning, the sheep incident  was in a village called Preston and the chap who made the complaint owns one of the largest  car dealerships in the country,

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 19:47:34 »
We used to go on a caravan site with lovely view over a Derbyshire Dale. Once when we went they had moved everyone to another field with no where near as good a view. The reason- one person who lived in a large house had complained to Peak Park Authority that he did not like to see the caravans- he could hardly see them really anyway. But guess what he had in the garden- a caravan. Such is life ???

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 21:03:31 »
Plenty plotholders on our site have cockerels.  I have only had one complaint from a non plotholder who lives opposite the site. the cockerel was crowing at 4am in summer.  Noise complaint came via he council environmental officer.  The cockerels 'went the journey' as they were crowing at 4am.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 22:31:29 »
We used to go on a caravan site with lovely view over a Derbyshire Dale. Once when we went they had moved everyone to another field with no where near as good a view. The reason- one person who lived in a large house had complained to Peak Park Authority that he did not like to see the caravans- he could hardly see them really anyway. But guess what he had in the garden- a caravan. Such is life ???

We have been to the forestry commission one right on the top outside of Chesterfield which drops down in to Matlock, :)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 00:13:46 »
 :)cockrells on our site is a huge no,no, with the council, as are bees/ shadesx
grow your own way

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 18:21:55 »
Oi Smithy the London comment has been noted.   ;)
Angle get ready for the Bee brigade.   :-X
Snuff, as said keep your head down until there's a complaint.
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 21:17:30 »

Corny,
                          Thats between us two, don't tell the Mrs ,  you know what they are like from  Wandsworth,  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 12:13:07 »
Mums the word Smithy, but it might cost you a couple of pints.  ;)     :P     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal