Author Topic: 2nd year for beetroot  (Read 2735 times)

tartonterro

• Acre
2nd year for beetroot
« on: February 16, 2014, 14:16:06 »
Wondering if anyone can advise me on this.

I planted far to much beetroot last year in some table planters in the backgarden - ground planting impossible with the number of rabbits.  I didnt thin them out soon enough and those that I replanted after thinning are still alive, but not yet bulbing up.

Is there any point to me leaving them in other than to let them flower and get seed or is there any chance of getting a crop from them - dependant on them surviving what ever weather is thrown at them over the coming months?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: 2nd year for beetroot
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 14:19:45 »

I planted far to much beetroot last year in some table planters in the backgarden - ground planting impossible with the number of rabbits.  I didnt thin them out soon enough and those that I replanted after thinning are still alive, but not yet bulbing up.

Is there any point to me leaving them in other than to let them flower and get seed or is there any chance of getting a crop from them - dependant on them surviving what ever weather is thrown at them over the coming months?

Not roots, but the small leaves are very nice in mixed salads (many commercial salad packs have beetroot in them) or used as chard substitute (it is the same family as chard, there is little difference between beetroot and chard leaves, apart from the ribs and size).  The foliage of beetroot is very edible and quite a crop in its own right.

tartonterro

• Acre
Re: 2nd year for beetroot
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 14:25:13 »

Not roots, but the small leaves are very nice in mixed salads (many commercial salad packs have beetroot in them) or used as chard substitute (it is the same family as chard, there is little difference between beetroot and chard leaves, apart from the ribs and size).  The foliage of beetroot is very edible and quite a crop in its own right.

Thanks galena.  Never thought about that.  Also got chard still growing as well so may mix together

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal