Author Topic: Seed sharing circle 2011  (Read 112707 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Seed sharing circle 2011
« Reply #340 on: July 31, 2011, 07:45:32 »
The silks look very pretty too

[attachment=1]

I'm not sure why one of the above pictures one hasn't come out properly I'll try again
[attachment=2]
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #341 on: August 18, 2011, 16:58:01 »
I picked a Painted Mountain cob yesterday, not huge in size but neither are the plants. Although not ripe enough for seed saving the rows were well filled and the different seed colours were starting to show. Eaten in the garden, yum  ;D

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #342 on: August 18, 2011, 18:16:24 »
I picked a Painted Mountain cob yesterday, not huge in size but neither are the plants. Although not ripe enough for seed saving the rows were well filled and the different seed colours were starting to show. Eaten in the garden, yum  ;D

Oh congratulations - after all the corn trials and tribulations.  Glad they are so tasty.  Their tassles/silks certainly look spectacular.

Ten, Simpson is doing ok.  Planted in the greenhouse hoping for seed.  My outdoor lettuces are struggling to produce seeds in this weather.  

Jayb, could you please enable me to add to the document?  I have taken a few pics.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 18:20:34 by galina »

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #343 on: August 19, 2011, 12:42:11 »
the corn looks stunning ... am drooling in preparation for next year  :D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #344 on: August 19, 2011, 21:07:21 »
OOh, great looking corn..and you munched it..good for you.

I am just touching base..

Things still going well here depite rough weather.

All my soya beans are doing great as are my limas so I am very confident on that one. A few different varieties of each,

Alma Paprika coming on good.

Madame Jardel's black tomato is doing well  as she was started very early but I lost my Queen of Hearts as seedlings so sorry about that..I am hoping someone can find me some now LOL

All 9 of the Dwarf Project varieties are growing super but as they were planted late I still have a worry about maturity with all the blight around me but so far they are fine.. hadn't mentioned these before and I know other folks got the seeds when they were realeased last year but they were in short supply so happy to share if they make it.

Minature White cukes are loaded so no problems there, I pickled some 2 days ago already.

Pepperdews are covered in green fruit.

Mayoral Blue winter squash, I had serious misgivings earlier when the last tow seeds of this very rare variety went onto a sulk, one plant is still sulkning bit one has two teeny weeny fruit on it..very doubtful but we can hope. The good news is I gace a few seeds to someone last year who has fruit on hers so maybe all is not lost..

Doing this from memory and I forget what else I mentioned earlier.

I have a couple of squash(of course)

XX Jeannine

Just remembered, all my rare varieties of spuds are still OK, no blight yet, and I have flowers on all of them so am hoping for berries to save seed.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 21:09:21 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #345 on: August 25, 2011, 13:51:57 »
Jayb, could you please enable me to add to the document?  I have taken a few pics.

So sorry, I read this and promptly forgot to sort it. I'm not sure if I still have your email address, perhaps if you can pm me it I'll sort it double time  :-[

If anyone else wants to join in making this document, one it would be fantastic to have the help and two sharing makes it all so much more  :)

Wow all sounds great Jeannine, incredible really when I think back to the bleak start you had to the season. Lots of hard work by you and John paying off, lovely  :)

I think there are a few we have not heard from and I'm wondering at this late date if they perhaps have forgotten they are in the circle or things have not panned out?

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #346 on: August 25, 2011, 19:47:51 »
I've not added varieties because I have so many circles I'm waiting to see who needs what! And how many circles I can offer them to. But rest assured, there will be seeds...

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #347 on: August 25, 2011, 20:34:57 »
Ahh no worries I know you are a top saver, filling in where we have gaps sounds ideal. Lol, your going to have your hands full, when it all starts comes in, you will have to stagger it  ;D

pumkinlover

« Reply #348 on: August 25, 2011, 21:17:21 »
I'm going to take the bags off at the weekend. Then label and see what develops :D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #349 on: August 26, 2011, 09:28:48 »
All peas are now picked and drying..almost ready for bagging.. ;D
First seedhead of bolivian coriander is ripened..and there was loads of seeds.. ;D..few more of those and then I have enough together for all.
Beans are all finished flowering and there is loads of pods to pick..some are already changing colour..won't be long for the harvest.
Lettuces I had sow again..that was few weeks ago..now they are getting into good size heads..hopefully they still have enough time for producing seeds..
So..all in all..part from corn..everything else is on track.. ;D
WHAT'S THIS..???..I'm seeing blue everyhere... :o....  ;)..I better behave now that there is more of you keeping eye on me.. ;D

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #350 on: August 26, 2011, 13:05:28 »
Well the red peppers 'Napia' Early Pointy Red Pepper, are coming good now. Yaaaayyy! But one thing that is interesting is that the number of seeds per fruit seems to vary enormously.

peas, still drying

Lettuce - just started to bolt. AT LAST!

Beans, well after my identification problems, we might be alright, just depends on how lovely and warm September is  ;)

radish pods - finally have got going, just need to figure out when to pick them, and how to tell when they are ripe

Have given up on the Ice Plant as a bad idea

as ever, a learning curve is occurring on the SE Coast  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #351 on: August 26, 2011, 18:00:17 »
Everything Ok here, we are eating limas and soy but there will be lots of seeds, Alma Paprika, Madama Jardels tomato, maybe some dwarfs they are running late,some squash but not Myaoral Blue itn is unlikely to ripen now.White cukes,  plus a couple of other things as mentioned earlier.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #352 on: August 27, 2011, 11:16:10 »
Lots going on there G'life  :)
I love Bolivian Corriander, both Quillquina and Papalo yum.

Yep, blue seems to be on the increase!

10, this may not help but last year 'twas the sparrows and finches that told me mine were ripe! Once they started to change colour I just started to pick a pod every so often to check on the colour and hardness of the seed. I had to pick in the end as the birdies were enjoying them too much. I hung them for a few weeks longer inside then they into the airing cupboard for a few days. I did start by podding them by hand which was horrible. I think following advice from Galina, when they were crispy dry they went into a pillow case and I gave them a going over with my feet. Just a case of seperating seed from the chaff.

as ever, a learning curve is occurring on the SE Coast  :)

Mmmm on the South West Coast too  ;D

Jeannine, I'm a tad envious you are eating lima's, I'm not yet :-\
I was thinking of a Dwarf or so as the ones I've tasted are good. I'd also like to include something from Tom W if I can.

schmelda

• Half Acre
« Reply #353 on: August 27, 2011, 11:25:05 »
I've not had a particularly good first year of allotmenting, so I don't have anything exciting to share with the circle.  Therefore, I think I'll drop out, and leave a spot for one of the people that are keen to join (with interesting contributions).

Fingers crossed that I have a more successful second year  ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #354 on: August 27, 2011, 11:41:27 »
Even if you've only got something unexciting, stay in and grow more next year. People don't mind if you're a beginner and you've got the right approach.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #355 on: August 27, 2011, 11:44:41 »
Hi schmelda, I'm with Robert. Don't be put off by what some folk are growing and saving, they have been at it a few years and have been sourcing seeds to save for a while. Sorry to hear you have not had the best growing year but the first year on an allotment would I think be very challenging.

I hope one of the nice things about the circle is it is a chance for us all to learn, share and grow (not just plants) with one another. Stay, don't worry if you don't think your seeds sound intresting enough, I'm sure they will be very welcome to us all.

If you are certain you want to drop out, that's ok too, no pressure. But what about I put together a little selection of seeds I have for you to grow next year?

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #356 on: August 27, 2011, 14:08:32 »
Jayb thanks for the advice re the radish pods  :) They are just starting to change colour  ;D

Also if you need help with the Doc, let me know, I'm happy to help. i also have a load of photos....

Hope you stay in schmelda   :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #357 on: August 28, 2011, 18:43:05 »
Ahhh..that feel better.. ;D..I've been bagging up first lots of peas into bags. Now it looks like I'm getting somewhere.
Dining table is full of trays, containers and plates, all full of various seeds. I just keep walking by and wondering if there is enough for everybody. Now that  some are bagged up I can see how thing are.  ;D  ;D

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #358 on: August 29, 2011, 16:16:10 »
Same here Goodlife  :)

So far I have packeted Lettuce Brune d'hiver and Rocket for the circle.  Lots more to do, but a start has been made.  This is what freezing cold August bank holidays are  made for ....  ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #359 on: August 29, 2011, 22:24:43 »
Just a little question...about Painted Mountain Corn.
I've read about how it is bred..so many different varieties gone into breeding.
Wait for it...I'm getting there..
Does that variety need the 'minimum of 100 plants'-rule too keep the inbreeding problems away? ...ahh, thats better.. ;D Done it.. ::)
I was just wondering as its gene pool is so varied..shouldn't it have more 'umf' in it not get 'sick' so easily.
Its late for me and my bored mind is doing its own 'travels'.. ::)..but I had to get  this thought out of my small mind before it does some damage.. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal