Author Topic: Seed sharing circle 2011  (Read 112721 times)

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
Re: Seed sharing circle 2011
« Reply #240 on: June 13, 2011, 11:12:11 »
Sue, although it is not the recommended way I’ve often saved seed from only one plant. I think as long as the plant is true to type, healthy and producing well it is, maybe not ideal, but ok. Others may think differently.
Look forward to hearing how you rate the taste of Purple Calabash as it is not one I’ve grown yet, although I have an interesting F1 cross I’m growing Calabash x Green Nails.

Thanks for your advice, jayb.  One tomato variety, Prairie Fire, is holding its own with the other earlies, but as there is only one plant then I'll think about it nearer the time, taking into account any comments on this subject.  If it was just for my personal use, I wouldn't think twice, but it's different when you are sharing seeds.

How I laughed when I saw your comment about Green Nails, for that called to mind pretty much our reaction to Purple Calabash when we grew it before.  We found the appearence very off putting, for it had green seed gel, and enjoyed it most when cut up and put into sandwiches, when we couldn't see it!   :)  When we did that, it seemed to me that the flavour was fine - isn't the human mind a wonderful thing!

Incidentally, there is definitely a spring in my step today - inspected the courgettes after a weekend away and there is a female flower on one of the Trieste Whites - progress!   :)

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #241 on: June 13, 2011, 11:26:41 »
Yes I would like to be part of this /next years circle. I've 2 big leeks going to seed- now I have to wrack my brain which they were....I don't have big resources-or needs but would love to try one or two new things and can offer one or two in exchange. Would particularly be interested in the potato seed project as that has really captivated my interest :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #242 on: June 13, 2011, 14:01:55 »
Keep your fingers crossed. I was late planting mine, but they're supposed to be blight resistant, though they haven't been tested against our local strains. I'm hoping to get seed off whatever comes through.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #243 on: June 13, 2011, 14:19:18 »
I can now commit to:
Pea, Biskopens Graart, a rarity, peas are slightly red apparently.
Parsnip, Avon Resistor. Not very exciting, but definitely practical.
Turkish Rocket (Bunias orientalis). Not a rocket, but a primitive perennial brassica relative.
Sea Kale, true seed (if collection is successful).

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #244 on: June 13, 2011, 15:59:48 »
Sea Kale would be a lovely one to try  :)

Looking forward to next year Green Lily  :)

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #245 on: June 13, 2011, 21:51:36 »
I've looked on the packet [how clever was that ::)] and so long as I collect ok I'll have leek Seigfried on offer. This year I've sown Bleu de Solaise so that'll be around the following year.
I also grow Trail beans and always sow my own runners -Painted Lady.
This year they survived the cold and frost [still underground] so they are ordinary but as hardy as runners get. The trail beans died and I had to resow ::) But there should be seed.. baring hurricanes and snow..... ::)
I'll try to save Amish tomatoes if anyone is interested. I find them fantastic but grow them in a poly. Hope this is OK :)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #246 on: June 13, 2011, 23:53:51 »
I've looked on the packet [how clever was that ::)] and so long as I collect ok I'll have leek Seigfried on offer. This year I've sown Bleu de Solaise so that'll be around the following year.
I also grow Trail beans and always sow my own runners -Painted Lady.
This year they survived the cold and frost [still underground] so they are ordinary but as hardy as runners get. The trail beans died and I had to resow ::) But there should be seed.. baring hurricanes and snow..... ::)
I'll try to save Amish tomatoes if anyone is interested. I find them fantastic but grow them in a poly. Hope this is OK :)
green lily
Ok on having identified the leek as Siegfried.  But the bad news is that 2 plants are too few for saving seed from an outbreeder like leek.  12 plants is the minimum and 20 plus is better.  I know that is a lot of plants when you haven't got a lot of space.  Maybe leek isn't the best option for you.  Lettuce, French beans and tomatoes are the easiest to start with, little danger of crossing and you only need a few plants each.  I wonder whether your trail beans are Cherokee Trail of Tears beans?  Also I'd be very interested to know which Amish tomato are you growing.  I love Amish Paste, which is a large red plum tomato with very full flavour.  Haven't grown any of the other Amish tomatoes yet.

Ian, now these are some treats, the peas and the seakale in particular.

JayB, b****y sheep!  How dare they!  Glad it wasn't a total wipe-out and hope there haven't been any more casualties.  Indeed - what WAS wrong with the nice grass on your lawn.  Bringing on the plants with much care and then this, sory to hear about this set-back.  Yes you have enough plants left.

Good growing everybody.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 00:24:38 by galina »

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #247 on: June 15, 2011, 21:30:04 »
Yes it is Amish Paste from real seeds but I only have 2 plants this year but they usually produce masses of fruit. The trail beans are the cherokee ones and I've grown them for several years. I've about a dozen on the go at the moment [ from a second sowing]. I'm afraid my plot isn't big enough for mass plantings but i could let a 2or3  reine de glace lettuces seed if that any good.
I suspect all my squashes will interbreed like mad so cues, butternuts and melons in the poly won't come true. Sorry I can't be more helpful this year perhaps  I'll try to plan for next . I normally only save bean seeds and sometimes tomatoes coz they're so easy. BTW i can only read your link list not add to it should I open it through Google?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #248 on: June 15, 2011, 22:27:21 »
Update: I've had disaaaster with my bloody butcher corn... >:( >:( I had aprox 160 seeds for the 'job' sown those same time with other corn..others are well 'up and running' ...BUT...out of all those seeds I've had on about 20!!!!! germinated :o ...I am not happy!
I got my seeds from two different suppliers and was fully prepared that some don't germinate..but that amount of loss I've never ever experienced... ??? With my other types..popcorn and different sweetcorns the success rate was over 90%.
So...that's crossed off from the list... >:(
That's for the bad news..and the good news is..peas are doing super duper.. ;D

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #249 on: June 16, 2011, 13:23:36 »
Can I join please?

Sorry I missed this Ben

Yes I would like to be part of this /next years circle. I've 2 big leeks going to seed- now I have to wrack my brain which they were....I don't have big resources-or needs but would love to try one or two new things and can offer one or two in exchange. Would particularly be interested in the potato seed project as that has really captivated my interest :)

Hi green lily and Ben,  thanks for the interest and I’m sorry it is not very clear, I think information can get a bit lost in a long post. We won’t be adding any new folk to join in the seed share this year as we are already full up!  (People have already planned and planted crops for seed saving; it would not be fair to ask them to produce more.)

But we look forward to having you join in next year; I’ll hopefully be starting a new thread in January. Keep posting if you have any questions or queries and hopefully someone should be able to help.

I think it is a bit late in the season to be starting off another seed saving group, but you may feel you want to organise your own. Alternatively if you have spare saved seeds later in the year what about putting them in the swap section. Usually a good amount of interest and a great way to share varieties with other growers.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #250 on: June 16, 2011, 14:49:25 »
 half pint peas done, hung up to dry in the greenhouse :) now what next?

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #251 on: June 17, 2011, 12:25:47 »
Jayb,

Do you think I could change what I will be supplying, to HSL Golden Sweet Mangetout and Stephens Pea? I am fairly confident that I can supply from this years crop about 20 seeds each for about 20 growers.   Not a bad return considering I only planted 19 seeds of each (thanks again for them!).

I still plan on adding a squash but I may add Crystal Lemon cucumber instead of edamame just in case I dont het a good enough crop.

Thanks

Dandtown

p.s.  Should I leave them on the plant to dry up and turn brown?

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 12:34:44 by Dandytown »

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #252 on: June 17, 2011, 17:41:15 »
Hi
One I've thought about adding to the list is Ice Plant, I got the seeds from Thomas Etty. Apparently nice to add to salads. I need to see how it does, I'm currently growing it hanging baskets, but it's a contender. Here's the blurb

Ice Plant – Thomas Etty
Introduced 1727
“A spreading round-stemmed plant…..the thickness and slightly acid flavour of the fleshy part of the leaves have caused it to be used as a fresh table vegetable for summer use in warm dry countries”….

Sow March to April under glass, plant out 12 to 18 inches apart and kept moist. It bear’s hot and dry weather admirably

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #253 on: June 17, 2011, 18:05:44 »
Hi 1066, I think I know this one from long ago..if it is the one I remember it is very invasive. It was planted on railway tracks in parts of BC , it is supposed to clean up toxic ground or something like that.. I think..pulling on my memory from a long time ago. I haven't a clue how!! It apparently caused big problems for the environment. I may well be wrong and it may be something else, but I seem to remember it was edible and I think it had berries or fruit too??

I think I need to do a wee Google.

I guess there are many kinds though and the Uk one may be different.

I am always interested now fro anything for my perennial veggies bed.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #254 on: June 17, 2011, 20:52:57 »
OK happy to swap . Do that with my family anyway. just thought it might be interesting to try one or two new items. Didn't realise it was a closed shop.Sorry

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #255 on: June 18, 2011, 08:14:54 »
no worries green lily, I'd forgotten as well, but I'm sure we'll look forward to your company next year  ;D (this seed saving malarky is addictive!)

Jeannine, hmmmmmm, a bit concerning. At the moment I have them in hanging baskets as that is what the chap from Thomas Etty suggested when I bought them. Maybe I should emial them for some more info ??

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #256 on: June 18, 2011, 09:42:58 »
the ice plant i used to have in one of my gardens many moves ago( reminds me i saw one some where r  cently now where was that }had  bluey grey silver leaves similer to a    succulentleave { watery] it grew to about 2ft high and a good attracter  of bees and butterflies  not suitable for hanging baskets and i never knew you could eat it but their are probably loads with that name depending on the region you live in

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #257 on: June 18, 2011, 12:22:30 »
A little update here.  The last remaining Todo squash is still doing ok, the resown ones have just sprouted.  Lettuce Grandpa Admires is looking good, but a long way from flowering.  This one does stand well into summer without going to flower.

Currently collecting seed from a lettuce that I had overwinter in the greenhouse, a traditional French lettuce, Pomme Brune d'Hiver, the type that overwinters with a little bit of cloching and comes into its own in very early spring.  I now have enough seeds for at least a small portion for everybody in the circle and more seeds are being harvested daily.

The rockets have developed seed pods, there should be enough for the circle.  I also have cress seeds for growing in the garden or on the windowsill if that is of interest.

The Babbington leeks are starting to develop their clusters of top bulbils and there are enough to go round too, barring a serious and unexpected problem.

Dandy, having to change plans during the growing season is normal and most of us had changes last year.  This is the way seed saving goes.  With the best intentions, it doesn't always go to plan.  Goes together with the rule 'never sow all of your seeds, because you may well need some for a second start'.  

Goodlife,  that is an awfully low germination rate, I am sorry you had such bad luck from two suppliers.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 12:31:36 by galina »

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #258 on: June 18, 2011, 14:18:30 »
Think I will email Thomas Etty to see what they say about the Ice Plant

Galina, looking forward to Brune D'Hiver, it did exceptionally well for me last year, I didn't have enough for seed saving and then with going away we ate them all! Delicious  :)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #259 on: June 18, 2011, 14:28:54 »
Right, for those of you who were in the seed circle last year, hold onto your hats / sit down / make yourself a strong cup of tea with plenty of sugar / pour yourself a large strong drink

[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]

[attachment=3]

The seeds pods are finally drying, going a papery texture, and you can see the seeds through them. Some are also starting to shatter/ pop, so I've picked a bowful for now, and will keep an eye on them over the next couple of days. I may dig a couple of them up and bring them indoors, as we are off on our hols next week, and I'd hate to miss them!!!

1066 (right chuffed)  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal