Author Topic: Seed sharing circle 2011  (Read 110204 times)

aj

• Hectare
Re: Seed sharing circle 2011
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2010, 19:47:30 »
Me too. :D

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2010, 07:27:41 »
goodlife  if you have any spare ,would love to have a go,compare notes etc.
Happy New year.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2010, 13:22:18 »
Jayb,the journal - I try to keep a illustrated ( drawings)record of the plot but by July it becomes a little overwhelming ,so to  make it easier  illustrating the seed sharing circle plants being fewer ,rarer etc should be more interesting,well that is the theory.

So glad I asked now, sounds absolutely gorgeous, what a fantastic talent to have. Jeannine’s card was a real beauty. Please, if it is possible later in the year I‘d love to see some of your seed circle work.

Goodlife looks like loads of interest in your leeks, a hit.  Shall I include them in your grow list as ‘Los Mols Leeks’?
Galina if you are contributing Babington Leeks as well, that would be fantastic imho  ;D

What about tubers like oca or ulluco?

;D I love oca and ulluco, and I know I’ve shared these with several people in the circle. Would they be ready to be sent November in time for December?

On the tuber front I’ve got some Mashua seeds I saved from the variety Ken Aslet, which produce tubers and flowers earlier than other varieties as they are not daylength sensitive.  I’m hoping to trial these from seed this year although I’m unclear if they grow true to type.  I’m not sure how much general if any interest there are in these? I like them and a big bonus, if you don’t like the roots the flowers are gorgeous and well worth growing in their own right.

Hi SueK, of course you can take part. Summer squash and tomatoes sound super.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2010, 15:16:59 »
 ;D Ok then, I shall make efford tomorrow and spend an hour in GH, I'll pop my "Mos Lols" in modules to grow...first lot will be on their way then ;D
Now I just have keep 'scratching' my head and come up with some more ideas for something else.
Jayb...Mashua would be really interesting ;)
I'll doubt bit too that oca and ulluco would be quite ready enough/in time..but who knows how this growing season will turn out.
Now..back to fondling my seedbox and see what I will find ;D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2010, 15:47:08 »
Is there still room for a little one  to join in ;)  :D  ;)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2010, 21:16:38 »

I penciled you in just in case  ;D

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2011, 08:39:54 »

I penciled you in just in case  ;D

Yaaaay!!

So on my list so far is Kale, Florence Fennel, a sweet red pepper, and I'd like to have a go at some squashes......... Oh and some winter / cool season salads (as I've enjoyed eating them so much), and no doubt some french beans..... Well that's the hopeful list

1066  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2011, 09:28:28 »
My catawissa onions were devastated last winter, so I haven't had any spare bulbils to distribute. If they've done better this year - it may be a big 'if' - should I aim to include those?

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2011, 10:11:26 »
I would be very happy to join and take part if that is okay? 

I am not sure what to grow as of yet but will look for something of interest to everyone.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2011, 08:28:23 »
Thank you Dan, much appreciated  :)

Loving the list 1066  ;D

Robert, the Catawissa I'm sure would be a popular choice, but no pressure, why not think of doing them next year, when they have had a chance to recoup?

Great to have you join the group Dandytown.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:30:51 by Jayb »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2011, 15:01:08 »
I'll see what they're like. They were looking so miserable last summer I left them totally undisturbed, and of course they're now well overgrown.

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2011, 15:55:27 »
Suek i will grow some russian short season tomatoes next year,if you are intrested i can put them in the circle or if you cant wait i can spare some i have enough.Are you growing them outside or in a greenhouse?If you want some now just p.m me your adress.

Hi Ruud (and fellow seed savers),
I was thinking more about some varieties I've got to grow out this year, kindly donated by another A4A member - thank you so much for your offer but I don't think I coud find room for any more! ;)  These will be Polar Star, Prairie Fire, Siberian, Siletz and Oregon Spring which are all new to me, all bush varieties, so I will be seeing what works and saving what I can.  Plus there will hopefully be Latah, which is normally a star performer for me, but which obstinately refused to produce tomatoes on the flowers I bagged last year!

Saving squash seed will be a new experience for me this year, and I hope to have one or two other irons in the fire - just in case! :)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2011, 16:50:57 »

Saving squash seed will be a new experience for me this year,

Sounds interesting, do you have any particular varietes in mind?! I'm tempted to try again this year but haven't decided yet - I might try a summer squash......

1066  :)

martinburo

• Half Acre
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2011, 10:23:35 »
So on my list so far is Kale

1066, if you want to grow kale I will grow spring cabbage instead.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2011, 16:39:24 »
So on my list so far is Kale

1066, if you want to grow kale I will grow spring cabbage instead.

This is my 2nd attempt at growing Kale (the Black kind) for seed saving, the last lot flowered but I got them in too early and the seeds went mouldy / hadn't ripened. So it's a bit of what I've learnt and fingers crossed for this year. So please don't let my efforts affect your choices of what to grow for seed!  :D  Besides having a backup might be good!!  But then I do love Spring cabbage.......  :-\  Do you have any particular variety in mind? I'm still trying to fine tune what cabbages I like to grow - tried a few and have a few more to try this year  ;)

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2011, 09:45:48 »
Saving squash seed will be a new experience for me this year,

Sounds interesting, do you have any particular varietes in mind?! I'm tempted to try again this year but haven't decided yet - I might try a summer squash......

Yes, I'm thinking along summer squash/courgette lines too - probably Trieste White (there's a description of it at http://www.realseeds.co.uk/courgettes.html).  It was the last of my courgette plants last year to give up when the weather turned cold and we have enjoyed cousa courgettes in the past. 

But as you say yourself, don't let me affect your choices! :)

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2011, 13:53:21 »
So far I am thinking -King Tut pea and cfb Bonne Bouche.....

pumkinlover

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2011, 13:58:45 »
Do we say what we are going to save now or later in the season. I feel a bit out of my depth here! :-[

Still waiting for HSL seeds to come which may give me inspiration. I guess you have to plan this year for next year if they are biennials.

Do we post on here or add to the document you put up earlier in the thread JayB?

Anne x

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2011, 16:54:26 »
I'd suggest only adding to the document when we have actual seeds to offer. All sorts can go wrong yet!

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2011, 20:25:28 »
SueK  - sounds lovely, I like the bit "......and the fruit stay tender to a greater size." That's definietly worth a try - we all know what courgette gluts / oversized courgettes are like to deal with!!  ;)

Agree with Robert about the final growing/saving, but its nice to know what others are aiming for!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal