Author Topic: TOTAL NOVICE!  (Read 2725 times)

Mack

• Not So New ...
  • I have often regretted my speech, never my silence
TOTAL NOVICE!
« on: July 18, 2003, 00:27:34 »
??? Have the allotment. Spend most of the time removing barrows full of rubble & bricks in attempt to create one large workable area.
This in due course will be dissected into manageable beds with some sort of partitioning. Materials and labour wont be a problem but I could do with some practical suggestions on the general lay out and materials that could be used for walkways between the beds. So far, I’ve pulled out old carpets and rumble that would of looked well in the bottom of a skip so none of these ideas are appealing to me now.
Any suggestions on were I could view some smart practical Allotments would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »
"The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

Mack.

Lil

• Not So New ...
Re: TOTAL NOVICE!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 12:47:38 »
I took on an allotment about 6 weeks ago and it sounds in a similar state. The weeds were taller than me and I'm 5'10!  There was rusty rubbish everywhere.
I have cut it down to the ground, putting all weeds even perennials against the hedge for about 10ft long and covered with black polythene, put all the rust in another corner near the gate, which i take little loads to the dump twice a week (its going down slowly).  I was given advice by an old gardener aged 84 to dig a little bed, about 6' by 3' and get some seeds in, just concentrating on that, and then when thats growing, start to dig amother little bed and just work my way aroung the allotment.  That way you don't feel totally overwhelmed and disheartened, and you get to grow something.  Its lookin better as I can see a little improvement everytime I go on rather than a big mess.
Hope this helps you, this advice helped me!

Lil

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2003, 12:51:04 »
ps...use the stones from the lotty and the bricks to  make paths with weed suppressant underneath.  

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2003, 12:23:28 »
Hi Mack - I've left my paths under grass.  It's a bit more work - cutting it before the weeds flower and edging with a spade, maybe twice a year.  

Great way of finding slugs though, and squashing them because they hide at the edges.  Whatever you do end up using on your paths, I'd avoid anything which affords shelter for slugs (eg carpet!).

All best - and good luck,  Gavin

Mack

• Not So New ...
  • I have often regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2003, 15:29:26 »
Gavin

I noticed that Chloe's allotment as grass paths between the beds and looks a lot more tidy than some plots I’ve seen locally. Is this good practice or does it throw up problems?
It appeals to me and could be the solution I’ve been looking for.
"The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

Mack.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2003, 23:16:28 »
Hi Mack

Grass works for me - it's been no problem; with one caveat - don't ever let it get out of control, and set seed.

But I cut my paths only twice a year - that's enough to prevent any problem.  Having said that - it's not quite bowling green smooth!!!!   Couch grass doesn't like being cut short - so trimming it serves to keep it under control too.

I suspect that it may even be beneficial - in that the grass and assorted weeds in the path gives that bit more interesting a habitat to maintain reasonably balanced populations of pests and predators.  Bit like an allotment hedgerow.

But the real reason I chose grass?  I'm bone lazy!!!  And mean into the bargain.  Why waste time, effort (and money? I've seen it done) on the paths?  

Open a can of beer and talk to the potatoes - much more rewarding!

Good luck - Gavin

Oh, and one other caveat;  if you choose any other covering, watch that it doesn't create the Slug Sheraton - cool, damp and dark places for them to hide in and breed.

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2003, 13:29:40 »
that was my next question!

grass sounds like a good idea then!

the_plotter

• Not So New ...
  • aaarg rain again!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2003, 01:32:07 »
I took on a second allotment 2 years ago. It was covered in couche and sow thistles. the first thing i did was to lay a sheet of black polythene on half the plot to stop any more growth. Then i dug over the remaining ground not removing any weeds and placed more polythene over this. In the spring I cut holes in the poly and planted potatoes with a hand trowel.While the spuds were maturing I took my time to fork out the couche on the unplanted area. I also found it easier to plant in straight rows as its easier to run a hoe up them. For the first couple of years weed seeds will germinate at the drop of a hat and if you plant in raised beds it means a lot of hand weeding
                          all the best
                                  ray

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal