Author Topic: Snap and pole beans  (Read 964 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Snap and pole beans
« on: December 16, 2010, 12:14:52 »
I'd always regarded these as alternative terms for the same thing, but Ruud's mystery beans in JayB's parcel were marked 'pole or snap?'. Is there a difference?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Snap and pole beans
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 12:59:16 »
To me, pole would mean a climbing bean and snap a bean (either climbing or dwarf) to be eaten green as opposed to a shelly bean.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 13:04:22 »
Sounds like a reasonable definition...  :)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 15:18:14 »
Do tell us, Ruud -  we really need a few more hints to guess the mystery.  They are tall buy may not all be snap?

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 20:09:20 »
I always assumed snap was mange-tout - the flat ones. I supposed that's because I've heard them called sugar-snap. These terms are more US English, aren't they? Any North Americans want to help us out?

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 23:48:50 »
I think it refers to the cross-section and yes, it probably has been carried over from cylindrical snap peas vs. flat mangetout.

Pencil shaped beans are fatter and tend to snap easier (often in my pocket for example) whereas the flat types - though just as crisp - tend to bend to a C shape before snapping.

Of course you can get pole (french climbing) varieties in both types, just as you can get dwarf frenchies in both types.

The seed catalogues will use whatever name they think will catch your eye better - no matter how misleading. All the way from making stuff look 'NEW' without actually saying so - and up to (sometimes including) actually telling porkies.

However it is definitely worth growing all 4 categories - one will always do best in the next season, and it tends to be a different one each year - you never know which one it will be...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal